Is anyone here familiar with dive into python 3?

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

Is anyone here familiar with dive into python 3?

Postby yanik » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 pm

m reading this book and the author does not describe everything, but he gives a link to a blog: (http://adam.gomaa.us/blog/2008/aug/11/t ... y-builtin/). the blog is gone and i cant find it. Does anyone knows where i can find the information of this blog or at least something similar to it? Please, only answer if you read the book
the blog is called the python property built in, by adam gomaa
yanik

Re: Is anyone here familiar with dive into python 3?

Postby yanik » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm

come on, please gimme a hand, otherwise i can't learn the language.
yanik

Postby ichabod801 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Please post in the correct forum. This forum is where more experienced programmers post tutorials for beginners, not where beginners ask questions. Try General Coding Help. Have you tried a web search? I found this.

Edit: looks like the mods moved you. Thanks, mods.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
Minimalist, buddhist, theist, and programmer
Current languages: Python, SAS, and C++
Previous serious languages: R, Java, VBA, Lisp, HyperTalk, BASIC
ichabod801

Postby yanik » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

ichabod801 wrote:Please post in the correct forum. This forum is where more experienced programmers post tutorials for beginners, not where beginners ask questions. Try General Coding Help. Have you tried a web search? I found this.

Edit: looks like the mods moved you. Thanks, mods.

thx, but its ot what im lookin 4.No offense, but it seems like u didnt bother reading my question.
yanik

Postby metulburr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:57 pm

If a book says to go to a blog that no longer exists. There is not much you can do to retrieve that blog data. If a book told me to go to a url that no longer exists to get the full info of what he was talking about within that book, i would throw the book away.

ichabod801 gave you the link to Dive into Python book. From reading it in the past, i dont remember needing a blog to learn from it? All the info is there.

As for posting in the tutorials. I moved your post. I guess i could understand the confusion as you were asking questions about a tutorial. But the tutorials are meant for users to post their own tutorials, not question related to tutorials.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby yanik » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 pm

metulburr wrote:If a book says to go to a blog that no longer exists. There is not much you can do to retrieve that blog data. If a book told me to go to a url that no longer exists to get the full info of what he was talking about within that book, i would throw the book away.

ichabod801 gave you the link to Dive into Python book. From reading it in the past, i dont remember needing a blog to learn from it? All the info is there.

As for posting in the tutorials. I moved your post. I guess i could understand the confusion as you were asking questions about a tutorial. But the tutorials are meant for users to post their own tutorials, not question related to tutorials.

Thanks, but I'm talking about python 3 not 2.
yanik

Postby metulburr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 pm

there is not much difference between 2 and 3. I have used a ton of tutorials showing python2.x, once i get that down, i convert them to python3.x, which is normally just changing the import line, xrange() to range(), or raw_input() to input()
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby yanik » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 pm

metulburr wrote:If a book says to go to a blog that no longer exists. There is not much you can do to retrieve that blog data. If a book told me to go to a url that no longer exists to get the full info of what he was talking about within that book, i would throw the book away.

Last question: Is it worth it learning python 2? Should i learn 2 instead of 3, since i cannot find the blog yet or something similar to it. Will I still need python 2 after learning python 3?
yanik

Postby Mekire » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:41 pm

At some point you are going to have to learn to help yourself.
That book with a single google seems to be available on line too (as the first hit).
http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/

Why not try learning/reading and ask specific questions when you get stuck? Rather than trying to demand something that no one will be able to produce.

-Mek

Edit: In a perfect world everything would be ported to python 3 and everyone would use it. Sadly this is not the case, however if you are just starting, as long as you understand a few of the very basic things that make them different you should be able to convert between the two with no problem.
Mekire

Postby yanik » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Mekire wrote:At some point you are going to have to learn to help yourself.
That book with a single google seems to be available on line too (as the first hit).
http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/

Why not try learning/reading and ask specific questions when you get stuck? Rather than trying to demand something that no one will be able to produce.

-Mek

:lol: , i've already tried to help myself, that is y i'm here. Thx 4 your answer
yanik

Postby metulburr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Last question: Is it worth it learning python 2? Should i learn 2 instead of 3, since i cannot find the blog yet or something similar to it. Will I still need python 2 after learning python 3?

It doesnt matter i think currently. If you start with 2, you would be asking questions about 3. If you start with 3, you will be asking questions about 2. (eventually).

python 3 doesnt have all the 3rd party yet
http://python3wos.appspot.com/

but there is not much difference between the two, you can find the porting guide here which will show what exactly is different between the two.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby snippsat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Wayback Machine has post in it's archive.
http://web.archive.org/web/201207180701 ... y-builtin/

come on, please gimme a hand, otherwise i can't learn the language.

There is very much basic stuff you need to learn before digging into understanding property ;)
snippsat

Return to General Discussions