HDF or NetCDF files

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

HDF or NetCDF files

Postby mmcpherson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I am trying to access NASA's weather dataset which are in either HDF or NetCDF files. I am very new to python, and am having a hard time opening, and viewing these files. Has anyone worked with these kinds of files before? If so, what do I need to do to access them?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by micseydel on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked OP.
mmcpherson

Re: HDF or NetCDF files

Postby micseydel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 pm

You'll probably find that no one here has worked with them before, but we might be able to help you anyway. Where are you getting the files from exactly and what are you doing to try to open them?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: HDF or NetCDF files

Postby mmcpherson » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for your offer to help! I am fairly new to python, and so have not tried much yet. The files I am trying to access are from:

http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/FTPSubset.pl

I tried to attach a downloaded HDF file to this message, but for some reason I wasn't able to. So to download the HDF file onto your computer, you will have to put in some parameters into the linked page, and click "Start Search" at the bottom of the page. I have made it this far, but then don't know how to access the data that is in them with Python. People have mentioned that I might need to download a library, but I don't know how or which one...
Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
mmcpherson

Return to General Discussions