GNU Python suitable for 24x7 app?

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

GNU Python suitable for 24x7 app?

Postby Bagtjesen » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I have used many programming languages over the last 35 years, and I am tired of all new languages being so looong in typing, it is like geting COBOL fingers (or rather just stumps of fingers) back again.

So the last couple of days I have been Reading along in the docs and tested some samples, even samples interacting with hardware - which is where my usage comes in. I use special hardware and some particular programs that cannot be replaced - they are completely unique. So that gives me the only choice of the Windows (7) platform. At the backend I could have chosen MS SQLServer but at that time the free versions could not exceed 3GB, and then I choose MySQL, later on using MariaDB (now 5.5.34), and results with PHP to the web.

My need is a programming language which is rather terse (-remember - NO COBOL fingers), but provides good error handling and basic objects. I have looked at GNU Python before (some 4 years ago) but then it was to awkward to use and the client and lack of good IDE (and them actually functioning togehther was an obsticle) ment I did not have time to get it all together.

I have the last 5 years used a number of things like SciLab and Octave to do tasks while I am at the desktop, but I have not since the early 80-ies tried an interpreted language for things that should run 24x7.

Given my envioronment and the need for 24x7 functionaliuty of the 'scripts' - would GNU Python fit my bill? Are there things to think of and external tools et c that will be needed or how self sufficient will this Environment be? I was thinking of PyPy but has not had time enough to delve into that too.

So will GNU Python do the job?

Bagtjesen
Last edited by Yoriz on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock
Bagtjesen

Re: GNU Python suitable for 24x7 app?

Postby stranac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Err, what's GNU Python?
Google is not showing anything that looks relevant.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby Bagtjesen » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Sorry, it was to late in the evening - Python has nothing to do with GNU... my mistake...

Bagtjesen
Bagtjesen

Postby stranac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Ok, so we're talking CPython(the reference implementation)?
I thought GNU python might be some obscure implementation...

Yes, python is perfectly fine for stuff like that.
No special tools are required, you can pretty much just use any text editor and the python interpreter...
If you want an IDE, there are a few people say are pretty good. PyCharm seems to be quite popular.

Also, there's this site, where you can get installers for many 3rd party modules.
You might also want to install pip, which is a kind of a package manager for python. And maybe virtualenv as well.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby snippsat » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:03 pm

I was thinking of PyPy but has not had time enough to delve into that too.

You should not think about PyPy because your brain may explode,just use it ;)
Because use it very easy python somcode.py vs pypy somecode.py that's all.
A funny "diabolical talk" video when David Beazley look into PyPy
So will GNU Python do the job?

Code: Select all
>>> 'GNU Python'.split()[1]
'Python'

Yes.
snippsat

Postby Bagtjesen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Yes I saw the 43 min video, and it looks very interesting - will check how addons/packages I need work in that environment and then decide if I will use PyPy. From a speed Point of view, there would not be a demand for PyPy's speed, but using an C exe is attempting to startup rather than an environment interpreter and a source file.

I will spend a couple of weeks trying to see if Python meets my expectations.

Bagtjesen
Bagtjesen

Return to General Discussions