[pygame] The Cabbages.

This is the place to post any code that you want to share with the community. Only completed scripts should be posted here.

[pygame] The Cabbages.

Postby Mekire » Mon May 05, 2014 2:05 pm

As some of you already know, I have been working on recoding one of my earliest games for quite a while now. It is finally starting to take shape and I plan to make updates here as it nears that utopian ideal of "completion".

Here is the repo:
https://github.com/Mekire/cabbages-and-kings

You can find a number of screenshots here on my Pygame project page:
http://pygame.org/project-The+Cabbages-2077-4727.html

It requires Pygame, but other than that should run on both Python 2 and Python 3.
The map editor is currently limited to Python 2 due to wxpython.

My latest additions include working treasure chests; pushable obstacles; and just today spiders shooting webs.

Let me know what you think.
All criticism/comments/bug reports/etc. welcome.
-Mek
Mekire

Re: [pygame] The Cabbages.

Postby metulburr » Mon May 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Is there a way to go back to the main menu from within game? Reason I ask is for "saving ensuring" purposes, and that is the only way to see controls. Or is there another way to see controls wiithin game? (aside from directly looking in the files)
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Mekire » Mon May 05, 2014 3:26 pm

The game actually saves when you die if you select "continue" or "save and quit". As death won't really have a penalty other than being transported to the beginning of what ever area you are in, you are just expected to get yourself killed if you want to save and quit.

As for controls, no there isn't currently anyway to see them mid game.
I have thought about it but I'm not sure if it is really necessary.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby Scherf » Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 pm

This is really cool. Hopefully I will make something like this one day.

Only negative I noticed was that when I was on the continue or Save/quit screen I dropped from 30 frames down to 2.75 frames.
Scherf

Postby Mekire » Mon May 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Scherf wrote:Only negative I noticed was that when I was on the continue or Save/quit screen I dropped from 30 frames down to 2.75 frames.

Really? That's terrible. Could I get the specs of what you are running on (processor, OS, python/pygame version). The game is supposed to run at 60 fps. Occasionally it drops for a single frame if something needs to load but it should never fall to or get stuck at such a low framerate.

I will have to confirm that all my surfaces get converted correctly in that phase. I run on a laptop but it consistently seems to run faster than a lot of other people's setups so it is often hard for me to see the bottlenecks.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby Scherf » Mon May 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Mekire wrote:
Scherf wrote:Only negative I noticed was that when I was on the continue or Save/quit screen I dropped from 30 frames down to 2.75 frames.

Really? That's terrible. Could I get the specs of what you are running on (processor, OS, python/pygame version). The game is supposed to run at 60 fps. Occasionally it drops for a single frame if something needs to load but it should never fall to or get stuck at such a low framerate.

I will have to confirm that all my surfaces get converted correctly in that phase. I run on a laptop but it consistently seems to run faster than a lot of other people's setups so it is often hard for me to see the bottlenecks.

-Mek

Windows 8.1
Intel 15-3337U @ 1.80GHz
4.00 GB RAM

Python 2.7.6
Pygame 1.9.2a0
Scherf

Postby Mekire » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Alright, thanks for the report. There is definitely a slow down there that I will try to address. The fact that it is that dramatic for you is crazy though.

My laptop is also an Intel i5 here, but it is a 2.4GHz rather than 1.8GHz. If I unthrottle the frame rate I get about 120-150 fps during that part of the game. It does slow down though as it is usually over 200.

-Mek
Mekire

Return to Completed Scripts