Serial port routine works in terminal; not in TK

Post here if you need help with creating a Graphical User Interface in Python.

Serial port routine works in terminal; not in TK

Postby jimwims » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

I am trying to write a TKinter GUI script for controlling the operation of a radio via a serial port. The first step is to have it retrieve and display in a label the frequency the radio is currently tuned to. It simply sends the code which requests the frequency, i.e., "FEFE68E003FD'", to the radio, waits a short time for the response, parses out and decodes the frequency from the response and then sets the text variable for the label to that value. This is done once a second.

When I run the script in a terminal (using the commented out for statement at the end and), it seems to work fine. But when I run it with Tkinter, it typically works fine for the first iteration and on occasional iterations after that, but on the vast majority of iterations, the string received back from the radio is highly truncated. I typically get about 8 characters back rather than the expected 34.

I am doing this on a Win7 computer. A prior, virtually identical version on a Ubuntu machine worked well.

Does anybody have any suggestions about where I may be going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all
from Tkinter import *
from ttk import *
import serial
import string
import time
from datetime import datetime
import xmlrpclib

def readrig():          #retrievs rig parameters for display
   rig = serial.Serial('COM1')
   send = 'FEFE68E003FD'      #Retrieve Frequency
   rig.write(send.decode('hex'))
   time.sleep(0.5)
     received = rig.read(rig.inWaiting()).encode('hex')
   receivedfreq = received[-6:-4] + received[-8:-6] + received[-10:-9] + '.' + received[-9:-8]
   freq.set(receivedfreq)
   print received
   print receivedfreq
   rig.close()
   freqlabel.after(1000, readrig)  #this is what causes freq etc. to repeatedly update
   return

root =  Tk()
root.wm_title("703f")

freqframe = Frame(root)
freqframe.pack()

freq = StringVar()
freqlabel = Label (freqframe, textvariable = freq, width = 7, anchor = CENTER, font = ("Helvetica", "50", "bold"))
freqlabel.pack(side = LEFT)

#for i in range(0, 9):
readrig() 
root.mainloop()

Last edited by stranac on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
jimwims

Re: Serial port routine works in terminal; not in TK

Postby micseydel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 pm

You mention that there seemed to be a difference between operating systems, so I wonder, were you running it in a terminal in Linux and in something like IDLE for Windows? Because running TK apps in IDLE often results in conflicts.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to GUI