creating a solved notification when thread is solved

creating a solved notification when thread is solved

Postby metulburr » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Thought came to mind...

Would it be easier for users to detect solved threads by having the OP change their title upon solving their thread? to something like:
[SOLVED] MyQuestion

Or would it become a pain in the ass to attempt to make users add that when completed?
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: creating a solved notification when thread is solved

Postby micseydel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:15 am

My problem with this would be that (1) I'm pretty sure the OP's ability to make an edit expires at some point, requiring a moderator to do it and (2) since many people don't follow up, unless mods were to be really aggressive about keeping track, there would probably be more posts than not that are not marked as "solved" that really are. I know it's a big important thing on some forums but it never was here, and now we have a lot of old content without that.

I'd be totally down for it to be part of the software on the new forum.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Mekire » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 am

I don't really think it is helpful honestly. If someone states explicitly that they would like to say it's solved I'll add it.

I know other forums that go as far as to completely lock threads after the OP states there problem is solved. Presumably they do this to stop necros but I think it does more harm than good. The issue I often see with this is the same with people that accept the first answer they get on SO. Just because the OP thinks they have solved their problem, doesn't mean they don't actually have a subpar or flawed solution.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby Kebap » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 am

I another python forum I frequent (German), there is actually a sport going on long after OP received a helpful answer people will still post other solutions, sometimes this becomes very esoteric but oftentimes it's helpful and sheds more light on related matters.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Return to Suggestions