some ideas

some ideas

Postby metulburr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:50 pm

programming groups
I think we started this the last forum, it also think it died out. But that doesnt mean it was a bad idea. We should start some groups to program together using something like github to post code and such. Maybe different groups depending on expierence.

contests
I wasnt here when a lot happened regarding this. But when i read through it on the "database" now gone on the past forum, i thought it was an awesome idea. We should start contests. Even small programs could contest against each other. It wouldnt have to be large, right?
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: some ideas

Postby stranac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:15 pm

metulburr wrote:programming groups
I think we started this the last forum, it also think it died out. But that doesnt mean it was a bad idea. We should start some groups to program together using something like github to post code and such. Maybe different groups depending on expierence.

I agree, this sounds awesome.
Would be nice to have some random stuff to code when I'm bored and have no ideas.

metulburr wrote:contests
I wasnt here when a lot happened regarding this. But when i read through it on the "database" now gone on the past forum, i thought it was an awesome idea. We should start contests. Even small programs could contest against each other. It wouldnt have to be large, right?

The only one of these that was active when I was around was jrogge's Conway's Game of Life contest.
It was a pretty large thing to be made, which I guess is a big part of why so few participated(I know it was why I didn't).
But yeah, if done right, this could be a good addition to the forum.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby w1zzerd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Thats a great idea.

Count me in.
Current Languages: Javascript, HTML5
Languages I'm learning: Python, C++
w1zzerd

Postby StormJedi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm a Python enthusiast more than anything else.
I would love to join a group and make something just to see how it works.
And hey, if good programs come out of it, all the better.
Python 2.7
Python 3.3
Windows 7 x64
Ubuntu 12.10 x64
One day I hope to use one OS and 1 Python flavor, until that day, life goes on.
StormJedi

Postby KHarvey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:45 pm

I liked the idea back then, and I like the idea now.

While I would not be able to give much constructive usable code to a project, I would still like to try.
KHarvey

Postby metulburr » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 pm

well one of the things that i saw before was:
https://github.com/The-Learners-of-the-Python-Forum
Although it looks it died before it took off

What if we had more ideas than just a chat program with wide variety options to choose from. For example, currently i dont feel like messing with a chat program, where i would toy with a pygame program, whereas a month or two from now it might be vice-versa. So if we had lets say 10 projects of a different variety, maybe more people would be willing to contribute?

So if this is valid, then i guess the question is: what do the people who think they would participate want to work on?

I myself, would wnat to work on a pygame project (currently)
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby DrakeMagi » Fri May 31, 2013 4:09 am

jrogge's Conway's Game of Life contest. Yep i was in that contest.
I won it because of feature not because of my algorithm which I use a basic one.
I also use cython to speed it up.
It wasn't a large project just bigger then a small one.

programming groups (I don't know unless it can be fork)
1. I like framework. (views would be different)
2. Something will come up that we will like to do different.

Contest: Now that can be fun !

I do miss the links to free images ?
DrakeMagi

Postby Mekire » Fri May 31, 2013 6:11 am

I do like the idea of a few of us working on a pygame project, but at the same time I tend to agree with Drake.
There will be some very dividing issues that people won't be able to agree on.

Also the problem I always have in making new games; I foresee us ending up with numerous coders and no artists.

In terms of contests I think the more open you make it the more participation you are going to get. I think, "implement a working version of X using the libraries/tools of your choice" will get much more attention, than say, "Implement X using pygame". Personally I think Conway sounds like it would have been a perfectly sized challenge as it can be as simple or as complex as the coder wants. I think algorithm implementation would be a perfect way to have challenges that people could take very far or just do something simple. A*, DFS, and various sorts come to mind.

I would love to have something as general as a "Make your own platformer" game challenge, but I could see this getting very little in the way of entrants.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby Mike_S » Fri May 31, 2013 6:27 am

Wasn't there a group project before on the previous forum, maybe an IDE or something? I was following the conversaion in the bar IIRC, it seemed like it was stuck at where to host the project, don't remeber if it got off the ground?
* Portable-Python 2.7.5.1 *
Mike_S

Postby Yoriz » Fri May 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Mike_S wrote:Wasn't there a group project before on the previous forum, maybe an IDE or something? I was following the conversaion in the bar IIRC, it seemed like it was stuck at where to host the project, don't remeber if it got off the ground?

Yea it did got off the ground to a certain extent, you can find it here.
https://github.com/Python-Forum
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Return to Suggestions