an IDE category

an IDE category

Postby metulburr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 pm

wasn't there an IDE category in the old forum? Not that many people are asking questions right now regarding the use and editing of IDE's. But before the blackout, every now and then people would ask such questions. Currently i am not sure where to put such questions either.
Last edited by Yoriz on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo's
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: an IDE catefory

Postby micseydel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm

I think it was a "Python Tools" section, which we redirected IDE questions to.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby setrofim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:47 am

metulburr wrote:Currently i am not sure where to put such questins either.

At the moment, I guess "General Discussion" would be the most apporopriate section (and, IIRC, we already have an IDE question in there).
setrofim

Postby sheffieldlad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I think the general discussion section needs splitting a little.
At the moment there are a lot of posts which would be more suited to general coding help.
This makes it feel almost like the general coding help section has been split into two.
I'm aware of the argument which says the board shouldn't become too cluttered with too many sections but I think the current setup needs refinement to ensure people post in the correct categories.

Not a big thing, just my take on the subject :)

Happy Friday everyone :D

-Paul
Python 2.7
Windows XP
sheffieldlad

Postby setrofim » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 pm

sheffieldlad wrote:I think the general discussion section needs splitting a little.
At the moment there are a lot of posts which would be more suited to general coding help.
This makes it feel almost like the general coding help section has been split into two.
I'm aware of the argument which says the board shouldn't become too cluttered with too many sections but I think the current setup needs refinement to ensure people post in the correct categories.

So you're saying that currently people are posting in the wrong section (in general discussion, when the should be posting in general coding), and your proposed solution is to add more sections for people to wrongly post in? :P

EDIT: I think that the mis-posting is (partly) due to there being two sections with "General" in the title. Maybe renaming "General Discussions" to just "Discussions" (or possibly "In-depth Discussions") would help remedy this somewhat.

Another thing that we could try is swapping "general" and "python coding" groups. That way "General Coding Help" section will be the first section in the list which would increase the likelihood that it will be used by people seeking quick help who aren't prepared to read the forum instructions or even go through all the sections in the list.
setrofim

Postby sheffieldlad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

setrofim wrote:
sheffieldlad wrote:I think the general discussion section needs splitting a little.

So you're saying that currently people are posting in the wrong section (in general discussion, when the should be posting in general coding), and your proposed solution is to add more sections for people to wrongly post in? :P

Ha ha, Yeah, reading my post back I didn't provide the best solution :oops:

setrofim wrote:
EDIT: I think that the mis-posting is (partly) due to there being two sections with "General" in the title. Maybe renaming "General Discussions" to just "Discussions" (or possibly "In-depth Discussions") would help remedy this somewhat.

That's a better idea.

setrofim wrote:Another thing that we could try is swapping "general" and "python coding" groups. That way "General Coding Help" section will be the first section in the list which would increase the likelihood that it will be used by people seeking quick help who aren't prepared to read the forum instructions or even go through all the sections in the list.
Python 2.7
Windows XP
sheffieldlad

Re: an IDE category

Postby metulburr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I agree with this
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby Yoriz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 pm

I agree that it makes sense to drop the "General" from "General Discussions" as it is sat in the "General" forum.
On that note "General Coding Help" is sat in "Python Coding" forum so it could just be "Help" but that seems a big vague so maybe "Coding Help" would be better.
This thinking makes "Completed Scripts" feel like it should be in the "Python Coding" forum and also "Tutorials" as they are code after all ;)

General would then only have "Discussions" & "Jobs" left which could be merged with "Suggestions" & "Bar" and the group renamed to something else if appropriate and be at the bottom.
Something like below

Python Coding
      Coding help
      Completed Scripts
      GUI
      Game Development
      Networking
      Project Euler (no posts drop this?)
      Tutorials
      Web Development (Maybe merge with networking as low traffic, "Web & Networking")
    General(or new name)
      Discussions
      Bar
      Jobs
      Suggestions
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby metulburr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:06 am

actuallythat makes more sense
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby setrofim » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 am

Not sure about that layout, Yoriz.

1. You're mixing topics intended for asking questions with those that aren't. I think that might be confusing for those not already familiar with the forum. It makes it look like "coding help" is where you ask questions and other sections are for doing other things (whatever that means).
  2. I also think it's good to have an "off topic" section for topics that aren't related to Python. E.g. suggestions may be misinterpreted to mean "suggestion for changes to the Python language" (though, to be fair, people do that anyway).

I agree with dropping "Project Euler" topic. Even in the old forum, it was never a high-traffic. If we only get an occasional Euler post every few months, it can go into Discussions.

I also agree with merging "Web" and "Networking". The distinction seems to be lost on a lot of the begginers (and there is a lot of overlap, anyway -- if I think I have a networking issue with my WSGI server configuration, where do I post?).
setrofim

Return to Suggestions