Webpage-Based Browser Game -- Can this be done with Python?

Webpage-Based Browser Game -- Can this be done with Python?

Postby The Merry Lurker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Hello, I'm the Merry Lurker.

I have a question about Python and how it interacts with Web Pages on the plain-text level. I have a little bit of basic Python knowledge, but before I go further into my project, I was hoping some of you could help me figure out whether Python is what I need.

Let me tell you a little about my project. Rather than use a traditional game engine, I'm trying to build a game that operates out of a web-page. The game will utilize image maps, pop-up windows, user-manipulated moving images, chat, normal login/out account features, and possibly cookies. All this needs to be done live, without refreshing the entire page, and in sync with calculations outside the page (such as damage counting). My goal in doing it this way is to create a simple multiplayer game that can be accessed on any device, does not require the player to download anything, and can store its image files on third-party servers.

Is it possible to support this kind of duct-tape and chicken-wire rig by using plain Python 3 in conjunction with a webpage, without using a special add-on (like pygames) or GUI?
The Merry Lurker

Re: Webpage-Based Browser Game -- Can this be done with Pyth

Postby metulburr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm

not without 3rd party libs, but check out
http://pyjs.org/examples/Space.html
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: Webpage-Based Browser Game -- Can this be done with Pyth

Postby The Merry Lurker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:07 am

Ooooh, shiney! This looks like exactly what I needed, and should save EONS of time. I think I'll just delete pygames and install pyjamas. :D Thanks!
The Merry Lurker

Return to Game Development