Code changes behaviour after first run

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Code changes behaviour after first run

Postby sboden » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Just wondering if anyone had my python problem before or knows exactly the root cause:

I'm experimenting making a python v3 version of mechanize (the web scraping library)... still ongoing... did the 2to3 conversions, did some rewrites. Basic code is working. However... I run my small stateless test program once and it works, a side effect is that the python files in the library are compiled. I run the test program again and the program fails... I erase 1 specific compiled python file, rerun the test program and it works again.

The above I can do consistently... First time around the code works, it doesn't work if one library was already compiled, and it works again if I remove the compiled file and run it again.

In PyCharm the test program always works (guessing they compile on the fly).

Regards,
Sven
Last edited by stranac on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
sboden

Re: Code changes behaviour after first run

Postby DrakeMagi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:48 am

would be nice to see the test program ?

would also be great to know what specfic file you erase ?
DrakeMagi

Re: Code changes behaviour after first run

Postby sboden » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 am

My small test program below in code section. It's just opening google with mechanize v3 and then "dumping forms". The compiled file in question I erase is mechanize\_form.py

But in general... what could be the cause that python runs differently when the file is not compiled yet, compared to when the file is compiled upfront. I would guess that execution would be the same in either case... either python doesn't find a compiled file, compiles it and uses or it would either use the precompiled file of a previous run.

It's very strange, but it is consistent... no precompiled python _form.py file everything works, _form.py is already precompiled it fails. I'm using activestate python v3.3.4.1 on Windows 7 for the moment.

Regards,
Sven

Code: Select all
import mechanize

# Browser
br = mechanize.Browser()

# Browser options
br.set_handle_equiv(True)
br.set_handle_redirect(True)
br.set_handle_referer(True)
br.set_handle_robots(False)

# Follows refresh 0 but not hangs on refresh > 0
br.set_handle_refresh(mechanize._http.HTTPRefreshProcessor(), max_time=1)

# Want debugging messages?
br.set_debug_http(True)
br.set_debug_redirects(True)
br.set_debug_responses(True)

# User-Agent (this is cheating, ok?)
br.addheaders = [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008071615 Fedora/3.0.1-1.fc9 Firefox/3.0.1')]

r = br.open('http://google.com')
#html = r.read()
#print(html)

for f in br.forms():
    print(f)

br.select_form(nr=0)
print(br)
sboden

Return to General Coding Help