how do you py2.exe?

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

how do you py2.exe?

Postby siestamadokaist » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 pm

so, I followed this link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1128 ... python-2-7
and downloaded the program, but it said "python version 2.7 required, which was not found in registry"
and...yes, I'm using python 2.7

what should i check/edit/anything to make it works?
I'm not really on good terms with registry :| orz.

Edit:
yes, I'm sure it's python 2.7:
*from help()

Additional Edit:
It doesn't necessarily py2exe, anything is fine, as long as I could make an executable out of my python code :)
siestamadokaist

Re: how do you py2.exe?

Postby Yoriz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 pm

New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby Mekire » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 am

My issue with cx-freeze (although it is much easier to get working than py2exe) is that to my knowledge there is no option to bundle all the files together in the executable. You end up with a directory with your executable, as well as a bunch of other files (dlls or similar). In py2exe there is a flag you can set to tell it to pack all of those into the executable as well, so you can end up with a top-level directory that only contains your executable (ok fine, it contains a w9xpopen.exe as well, but still).

Half the reason I tend to want to create executables is so that an average windows user can open the directory; see an obviously named executable file; double-click it and run. With all those other files cluttering the directory this goal isn't accomplished.

(Note: there may be a way to bundle the files in cx-freeze, but I have never made it work.)
(Further note: if it is a Pygame program that you are attempting to bundle, there are several annoying hoops that need jumping through in order to get py2exe to work.)

-Mek
Mekire

Postby snippsat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 am

is that to my knowledge there is no option to bundle all the files together in the executable

It's not smart to bundle all files in into one big exe,either with py2exe or cx_Freeze.
The best way after making exe,dll in py2exe,cx_Freeze is to use software that make an installer.
I like Inno Setup,it make one setup.exe you can give away.
This setup.exe is an installer for Windows,with an uninstall option.

When this is said we should also strive to get people to have Python or there system.
So we can distribute open source code this is the Python way,but in the windows world we also need sometime exe(so all can run it).
PortablePython is an option for people who don't want to install something on there system.
snippsat

Return to General Coding Help