Set a variable from text input with Python4Android & XML

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Set a variable from text input with Python4Android & XML

Postby Guitarman2010 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 am

Hello, I am in the process of learning Python and recently started experimenting with the Full Screen UI Wrapper for Python to be used on Android devices. I was able to make a simple GUI 'task killer' script (I know they are detrimental to battery life etc.) just to learn a little about the different events and XML.

My question is just like the title states. I have looked at many examples of how to 'get' the text (or numbers) from an edit text box but all were calling Java beforehand. I don't know Java yet and wondered how in the heck would I simply take the inputted characters from the XML edit text box and make them able to be assigned a variable? I have seen some of the printed results of the full screen wrapper and it looked like dictionaries within dictionaries......and I saw the numbers I inputted in the text box but it was part of a lot bigger collective that wasn't labeled. I have been looking for a few days now on how to do this with no success. I will usually research and find out stuff myself but this simple task has me puzzled.

I am not a student, I am just someone that finds programming fascinating lol........any help would greatly be appriciated :)
Guitarman2010

Re: Set a variable from text input with Python4Android & XML

Postby Guitarman2010 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am

Nevermind.....I figured it out
Guitarman2010

Re: Set a variable from text input with Python4Android & XML

Postby kurix » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I'd be interested to see how you did it. I'd love to see any source code for any projects you've made too. I'm just trying to teach myself a bit of how to create android software. I have a solid grasp of python but not of how it's implemented in android. Any info you have would be awesome.
kurix

Return to General Coding Help