Accessing Python language in final application

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Accessing Python language in final application

Postby tiago_almeida » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:46 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I don't know if this is the right place to put this question.
I am trying to develop a program using python, which is basically to construct questionaires.
The user will be able to use the interface to set up the questions, possible answers and so on. However, the user also needs to specify as well the logic behind the questionaire, with this I mean theconditional jumps between questions as well as different options to chose from depending on various factors.

This is pratically impossible to obtain with a gui interface, and most commercial application implement somekind of a scripting language for this.

I would like the user to be able to write that script in python since it is ana lready well established scripting languaged, he would have access to both the power of python and would not have to learn a specific language just for this program.

How is this possible?

Thank you so much for your help!
Tiago Almeida
tiago_almeida

Re: Accessing Python language in final application

Postby micseydel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:57 am

We're happy to help, but we usually want to see something more specific from you first. Or at least more information about you and what you're doing. Do you know Python? Have you started programming this? Have you started designing the scripting language? Are you doing this by yourself?

As a side-note, I'm not a fan of GUIs nor I am a designer (to make legitimately good ones) but I bet a smart designer could do this well.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: Accessing Python language in final application

Postby tiago_almeida » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for answering!
I mostly have programmed in MATLAB and just used python for small things a while ago.
I believe that in relation to programming concepts I am fairly ok, but I will have to learn the specific grammar and syntax for python again, but I don't believe it will be very hard.

All applications that are used to create surveys and questionnaires incorporate some kind of scripting language, usually they use a specific one, in order to create the logic behind the questionnaires (for example, if the person you are interviewing is a child you would skip a few questions).

I will do it mostly myself during this summer, but I will have help from one or two friends, who also know programming but not python.

I chose python because I really want to learn it, and I think that if I could embed an interpreter in the program it would be awesome, because the user would learn concepts of a very good language instead of a specific thing which will be useful elsewhere.

The idea of the program is:
GUI create the questions, corresponding variable names and possible answers and stuff (which I will treat as objects)
Incorporated script editor so as for the user to specify the correct jumps and how many times should something be asked and so on.

Thanks so much!!
tiago_almeida

Return to General Coding Help