Save a user defined function in Python

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Save a user defined function in Python

Postby yamid » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:57 am

I am going to use an interpolating function "Rbf" from Scipy in an executable script file. However, I need some improvements. This is what I have done:
1. I have written an executable script that read a large sample file ("Sample.data") , and uses rbf to create an interpolant function:
Code: Select all
import numpy as np
from scipy.interpolate import Rbf
x1i,x2i,x3i,x4i,x5i,x6i,x7i,x8i,x9i,x10i,x11i,x12i,x13i,x14i,x15i,di = np.loadtxt('/home/hhamdi/Desktop/RBF_Test/data.txt' , unpack=True)
rbfi=Rbf(x1i,x2i,x3i,x4i,x5i,x6i,x7i,x8i,x9i,x10i,x11i,x12i,x13i,x14i,x15i, di)

2. The vector of values for interpolation i.e. (t1,.. t15) are generated each time with other program in a separate text file (i.e "interpolation.dat"). I read those (t1,..t15) from this file and calculate the corresponding interpolation value Y.
Code: Select all
Y = rbfi(t1, t2, t3, t4, t5, t6, t7, t8, t9, t10, t11, t12, t13, t14, t15)

However this is very slow, because each time a new vector (t1,...t15) is create, I need to first open the original fixed sample file ("Sample.data"), and again create the fixed interpolant function. Is there any way that I can only create the interpolant function (Rbf) from the Sample.dat file only one time, and to save it somewhre or save it like a native python function, and then only use it for any new value of a vector (t1,...t15). This is very helpful because it save some timed not to open the sample file each time.
Last edited by Mekire on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use code tags; not red text.
yamid

Re: Save a user defined function in Python

Postby TheFunk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:34 pm

(t1,.. t15) are generated each time with other program in a separate text file

Could this step be done using the script instead of a separate program?

It would eliminate the need for a second text file because you could just use a list. In addition, you wouldn't have to read from the original text more than one time total.
TheFunk

Re: Save a user defined function in Python

Postby yamid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 am

Unfortunately not, because the program behind that is very complex and only can give the (t1,..t15) as an output in a text file...
yamid

Return to General Coding Help