Printing a drop down menu for a specific field

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Printing a drop down menu for a specific field

Postby NikosGr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:43 am

Code: Select all
try:
    cur.execute( '''SELECT host, city, useros, browser, ref, hits, lastvisit FROM visitors WHERE counterID = (SELECT ID FROM counters WHERE url = %s) ORDER BY lastvisit DESC''', page )
    data = cur.fetchall()

for row in data:
        (host, city, useros, browser, ref, hits, lastvisit) = row
        lastvisit = lastvisit.strftime('%A %e %b, %H:%M')

print( "<tr>" )
        for item in (host, city, useros, browser, ref, hits, lastvisit):
            print( "<td><center><b><font color=white> %s </td>" % item )
except pymysql.ProgrammingError as e:
    print( repr(e) )

In the above code i print the record of the mysql table visitors in each row like this: http://superhost.gr/?show=log&page=index.html

Now, i wish to write the same thing but when it comes to print the 'lastvisit' field to display it in a <select></select> tag so all prior visits for the same host appear in a drop down menu opposed to as i have it now which i only print the datetime of just the latest visit of that host and not all its visit datetimes.

I hope i made it clear what i want to achieve.

First let me show you the database insertion to start form there:

The definition of the same visitor in my case is basically a combination of they page the visitor tries to visit along with its hostname. At MySQL's definition iam implementing this as:

unique index (counterID, host)

Up until now i was updating the record of the same visitor as follows:

# if first time visitor on this page, create new record, if visitor exists then update record
cur.execute('''INSERT INTO visitors (counterID, host, city, useros, browser, ref, lastvisit) VALUES (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)
        ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE city = %s, useros = %s, browser = %s, ref = %s, hits = hits + 1, lastvisit = %s''',
    (cID, host, city, useros, browser, ref, lastvisit, city, useros, browser, ref, lastvisit) )

Since now i have decided to have more records for the same visitor if i'm gonna save its history of visits, i'm thinking that i can no longer update the same unique visitor record but save many records related to the same visitor. so i use this:

=============================
# ~ DATABASE INSERTS ~
=============================
try:
    # if first time for webpage; create new record( primary key is automatic, hit is defaulted ), if page exists then update record
    cur.execute('''INSERT INTO counters (url) VALUES (%s) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE hits = hits + 1''', page )
    # get the primary key value of the new added record
    cID = cur.lastrowid

# if first time visitor on this page, create new record, if visitor exists then update record
    cur.execute('''INSERT INTO visitors (counterID, host, city, useros, browser, ref, lastvisit) VALUES (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)''',
                       (cID, host, city, useros, browser, ref, lastvisit) )

con.commit()
except pymysql.ProgrammingError as e:
    print( repr(e) )
    con.rollback()

Are we good up until this point as it concerns the database insertions?
If we are then we can discuss how to present the saved data.
NikosGr

Return to General Coding Help