Ranked Simulations

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Ranked Simulations

Postby technographie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been working with simulations lately, we've had to run these simulations for how certain groups do relative to each other. I've thought of using python to build a better, more automated model. While conceptually I know what I want to do, in theory I've had some trouble.

Basically, every group is assigned a variable. In this group of 10, each group receives a value. The most highly ranked group is 10, the lowest is 1.

a = 10
b = 9
c = 8
d = 7
e = 6
f = 5
g = 4
h = 3
i = 2
j = 1

If two groups are compared to each other, there is a higher probability of the more highly ranked group 'winning'. So a has the best chance of winning while j has the lowest. However, b has a higher chance of beating athan the others. It is also possible for groups to draw. The closer they are to each other, the higher the chance of drawing.

So each group is a variable with the rank stored in it. Then the idea is to get a random number that if added to the lower ranked group will yield a result. So let's say the number is 2

If the simulation compares a to b, then b would win as the end result of b would be b + 2 (11). If the random number is 1 then there is a draw, and if the number is 0, then a wins. But this is where I see two problems.

First of all, I want closely ranked groups to have a more limited set of numbers. so in an a and b simulation, maybe only 0, 1 and 2 would be available, while in the a and c simulation, 0, 1, 2, and 3 would be available. The reason behind this is because if the range is too high for closely ranked groups, the lower group has a higher chance of winning.

The second problem, and, actually, the primary problem is how to generate the limited range of random numbers.

Any hints, tips and suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Last edited by Yoriz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: first post lock
technographie

Re: Ranked Simulations

Postby micseydel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:58 pm

What attempts have you made? Read this to know how to make a post that will get answered quickly and well.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: Ranked Simulations

Postby ochichinyezaboombwa » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Regarding the 1st part of your question, I think you've found the answer yourself:
technographie wrote:I want closely ranked groups to have a more limited set of numbers. so in an a and b simulation, maybe only 0, 1 and 2 would be available, while in the a and c simulation, 0, 1, 2, and 3 would be available. The reason behind this is because if the range is too high for closely ranked groups, the lower group has a higher chance of winning.

More generallly, the range you need to pick a random number from will be
Code: Select all
abs(g1-g2)+1 # where g1 and g2 are any of your a,b,c,d,e....

As for the 2nd part: I agree with micseydel, but to make it yet more shameful for you: lmgify.
ochichinyezaboombwa

Return to General Coding Help