Any way to interact with ios devices via usb?

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Any way to interact with ios devices via usb?

Postby mckryall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:14 am

I have a school mac and and an iPhone, and I would like to find some way of interacting with the device via usb. I honestly don't care what level I would be able to interact with it, I just want to interact in some way.
Last edited by Mekire on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked
Python 2.7
Mac Mini
Laptop w/ Ubuntu 14.04
Steam; PSN
mckryall

Re: Any way to interact with ios devices via usb?

Postby micseydel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:21 am

Basically, no, because Apple doesn't want you to. I think there might be somewhere you can submit an application (lots of paperwork) to ask to get approved as a developer but I don't think they care about individual hackers who aren't going to promote their product in the way they want.

Android has a great deal more freedom in this regard. If you want an open platform to toy with you might want to consider it next time. Or perhaps a cheap tablet rather than your primary phone.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby mckryall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:46 am

micseydel wrote:Android has a great deal more freedom in this regard. If you want an open platform to toy with you might want to consider it next time. Or perhaps a cheap tablet rather than your primary phone.

I'm getting an upgrade in early 2014 and I'm thinking about getting an android. How would things work out with that? How would I output to the device?
Last edited by Mekire on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked
Python 2.7
Mac Mini
Laptop w/ Ubuntu 14.04
Steam; PSN
mckryall

Postby micseydel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:54 am

I should have included this in my other post: what do you wish to accomplish? Do you wish to write or not write an app you would communicate with on the device?

I've used adb on Android, and that link will give you an idea of what you can do. adb does not require you write any code on the device. Also, this isn't USB but I've put an ssh server on my Android phone which gives me a great deal of freedom to interact with the device.

On Android, you'd have to enable developer mode, which is very easy but might have undesired consequences (you can Google it, it's not enabled by default so I imagine this is true but have never had an issue). Rooting your device might also be either necessary or helping, depending on what exactly you want.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help