My Languages

My Languages

Postby James_Parsons » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:29 pm

So I am trying to list down the languages that I know/want to learn, and I'm a bit confused. I know for sure of the following:

Java
Learn SE [done]
Learn EE
Learn ME
Learn Android
Learn Card
Python
Learn Basics [almost done]
Learn Scapy
Learn Django
Go
Learn Basics
Learn The Lib's
?

My problem is the "?" I don't know what to learn next, but I have 3 langs in mind. PHP, Ada, Lazarus/Pascal. I need some community input which of the three should I learn? why?
James_Parsons

Re: My Languages

Postby micseydel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:42 pm

I would just recommend a scripting language (Python) and then a compiled language (C/C++/Java/whatever) and then learn whatever language you need for whatever task. Python gets done nearly everything I need, but if I want to do Android I use Java. If I want to do dynamic content in a web browser it's Javascript. iOS, Objective-C. Basically, it depends on what you want to accomplish. You could learn a functional language like Lisp, or a language like Prolog, both of which would force you to think differently than you would in any other of the mentioned languages. C would help you learn more what's going on at a low level. And object-oriented programming is something I'd recommend you learn well too.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: My Languages

Postby Kebap » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Before trying to figure out what you "should" do, think about the "why" more. What do you want to accomplish in the end? Where are your interests? What do you expect from your next language? Etc. I would recomment learning about something you don't yet know too much about, instead of the 5th flavour of nearly-the-same-after-all.

By the way, you can also learn more about other things like posting on forums, for example we have "code" tags which would have helped you prevent your nice indentation there like so:

Code: Select all
Java
    Learn SE [done]
    Learn EE
    Learn ME
    Learn Android
    Learn Card
Python
    Learn Basics [almost done]
    Learn Scapy
    Learn Django
Go
    Learn Basics
    Learn The Lib's
?
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Return to Bar