New Users Introduce Yourself

Re: New Users Introduce Yourself

Postby deltasheep1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi, my name's Mikey. I'm 17, and I just started Python.
I graduated high school 2 days ago, on the 14th of June, 2013. I am taking a programming class in Javascript in the Fall of 2013 at my community college in Marin. I am learning how to use python as an autodidact, but I've found this to be useful, especially because I can read it on my Kindle:
http://swaroopch.com/notes/python/

I wanted to learn Python initially because I wanted to learn how to hack (this definition of hacking: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html)

I watched BSG, Transcended Man, and really thought about the future a lot. Having to decide what I wanted to do in my life without any withstanding commitments, I needed to start from scratch. I've always been a lazy learner, and I dream of integrating the internet with the mind. I plan on transferring from community college to UCB to learn more about how to do this, but in the meantime, I wanted to learn how computers work. How do i manipulate code? What are transistors? Is binary intrinsic? What challenges does the world need to overcome in order to achieve the things that crazy people like Ray Kurzweil and I talk about?

To learn how to program, I have been following this guy's advice: http://norvig.com/21-days.html

I want to learn at least half a dozen languages, read code and write code, but I don't even know anyone who programs. I have no mentor and no idea what I should write. If anyone wants to help me learn Python, I'd really appreciate that. I'm looking for specific programming tasks, good code to read, someone who I can ask questions, someone who knows what I should write and what I should read.

If you want to help me, please contact me at deltasheep1@gmail.com

Thanks for this thread so I could welcome myself to the forum.
deltasheep1

Postby micseydel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 am

Welcome to the forum! We would love to help you, but we'd prefer you interact with us here and through the IRC channel rather than by email.

It sounds like you've got a good plan. I never had anybody teach me Python in person and you could probably get away with the same, you seem interested enough. I do recommend reading questions here, answering when possible, and reading answers. I learned a lot from this forum, and wouldn't know what I do without it.

By the way, you're lucky to live near the bay area hackathons by AngelHack. They have them all around the world but the bay is a hotspot for them. There's one in San Jose right now, in fact, although it's too late for that one for either of us. You should watch out for future ones though, as they're a great learning experience and a fun party, not to mention a fantastic opportunity. (I'm starting a job in Mountain View in early July.)
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby deltasheep1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks!
I'll take that direction towards the IRC channel.
Angelhack looks very cool, so I'll have to check that out soon.
deltasheep1

Introduction

Postby RykerFranklin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello everyone my name is Ryker Franklin. And i am new here and i really like to fill online forum.
Thanks
RykerFranklin

Postby XndrK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm Alex.

I'm a teenager with a lot to do so I use my time to learn and program Python. I like classical, country, and some light rock.

I'm a social and fiscal conservative ( :o A CONSERVATIVE NERD!!!) but I'd rather not debate, since that would detract from the point of this forum.

I also like forums. :)
Proverbs 26:14 describes me a bit too well.

Version: Python 2.7.5

https://github.com/4of92000
https://github.com/PythonForum/
XndrK

Hello

Postby James_Parsons » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello All. I am somewhat new to the forum, sorry for my last 2 questions, I had trouble wording those. I have used python for 3 years. However, I am not the best since I'm only 15.
I do java and pythonmostly, but I have experience with a lot of other languages. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself. :D
James_Parsons

Postby micseydel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:23 pm

XndrK wrote:I like [...] country [...] I'm a social and fiscal conservative

Those do tend to go to together.

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby XndrK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 pm

micseydel wrote:
XndrK wrote:I like [...] country [...] I'm a social and fiscal conservative

Those do tend to go to together.

I don't like country that much.
Proverbs 26:14 describes me a bit too well.

Version: Python 2.7.5

https://github.com/4of92000
https://github.com/PythonForum/
XndrK

Re: Hello

Postby Kebap » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 pm

James_Parsons wrote:I have used python for 3 years. However, I am not the best since I'm only 15. :D

Well hello then, welcome to the forums! Dont worry :mrgreen:
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby Somelauw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 pm

http://www.python-forum.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8350

Not sure, when I have last been active, but just to make sure my account doesn't get deleted, I'll post here and now.
Somelauw

Postby micseydel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Somelauw wrote:http://www.python-forum.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8350

Not sure, when I have last been active, but just to make sure my account doesn't get deleted, I'll post here and now.

If you have more than 0 posts, it's not a problem.

micseydel

Postby llanitedave » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 pm

I just stumbled into this place. I was a member of the old forum, but assumed it had been shut down for good. I'm glad to see it back.

I've completed one full-sized application using wx-python and I'm working on another. I doubt if I'll ever get beyond beginner skils, no matter how much time I spend working on it. I'm a geologist, not a programmer, and my memory tends to be short. I enjoy it anyway, though. Expect some strange and maybe dumb questions from me from time to time!
Last edited by Yoriz on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock
llanitedave

Postby micseydel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:10 am

Hey llanitedave, welcome to the forum! Feel free to post your program in the completed scripts section, we're delighted to see anyone's projects, especially those of people who aren't regularly programmers!

micseydel

Hello to all members on this forum

Postby Ronalddob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:31 am

Hi to all members on this community i am thanks to the administrator of this forum for approve my account i am sure here i got better knowledge thanks again. My name is Ronald.
Ronalddob

Re: Hello to all members on this forum

Postby micseydel » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 am

Ronalddob wrote:Hi to all members on this community i am thanks to the administrator of this forum for approve my account i am sure here i got better knowledge thanks again. My name is Ronald.

Between the broken English, apparently fake email address, and IP proximity to banned IPs in our database, of course on top of no mention in this post of Python, programming, or anything specific to this forum I'm thinking this account is fishy.

micseydel

Postby RainbowShibe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Hello, I'm Andrew.

When I was five I use to play with the conputer alot, and my dad would come home having to delete all the shortcuts i accidentally made.

Later on I got interested in web development, my dad being a computer technition, I asked him, and of coarse after his lecture my brain was fried, I was a seven year old with a little to nothing attention span.

When i turned eleven i started messing around with VBScript on my old HP, it ran windows 98
Even before that I was messing with html, but technically its not a script.

When I turned 14 my dad found his old linux, it isn't exactly the fastest or the most up to date version, but it certainly works, I read the manual and started right away at it, learned a little bit of Javascript, and then turned to Python since i just couldnt understand Java. When I first got the linux I messed with shell, but thats super basic.

Now that ive gotten my history with computers aside it's time to start on more/less interesting aspects.

I was born and raised in michigan, mayville. My parents got divorced around when i was 6, I moved to my grandmas and stayed there for about three years, then my parents got back together and we live in the same house as we did back then.
Soon after we moved my old school burned down and I lost contact with all of my attica friends (although I only had one good one). After dealing with dial up all of my life we switched to dsl. It was like heaven, for the first year, then i just plain out became addicted. I became fond of Mlp a show directed towards children six and under, and my favorite color is rainbow.
MLP:FIM <3
RainbowShibe

Hello from South Africa

Postby Hermes14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 am

Hi everyone
My name is Warren, I'm from Johannesburg South Africa.
While reading the thread “New Users, Read This” you ask all new users to introduce themselves which got me thinking.
How did I become involved in computers?
Let me take you back in time to my school days.
Well back in the late seventies I was still in primary school.
When the last bell ran to signal the end of your school day, most of us ran to the nearest corner cafe to play pinball.
Eventually we could sit play for hour with one ball & the cafe owners started complaining because they weren’t really making any money.
They tried to rotate their games but that didn't help very much because it didn't take long for us to master them as well.
While still in the early years of my high school days, this new thing called video games hit the streets.
If I remember correctly it was first Atari, then Asteroids then Space Invaders.
You used to have to fight to be able to get near one of these games let alone play one.

Every year during the December holidays, A friend of my who lived in Canada came to South Africa to visit his grand parents.
While we were talking one day I asked him what they were learning in school & he said computers.
I couldn't exactly grasp the idea of writing programs into a box but left it at that.
While in my maths classes the following year, I remembered talking to my friend about this thing called a computer & asked my teacher.
She said she wasn't to sure how they work but would find out for me.
Well, I wasn't too popular with my class mates because with in a week we had a section in our maths syllabus called computer programming.
I can still remember writing my first program on my video game called “intelevision” & used a television as a monitor.
I can't remember what the language was but I think it was dos.

Later when I learned that this is a subject called computer science, I imagined myself being a little old grey man one day, wearing thick glasses & a white coat, working in a laboratory whose sole purpose is designing computer games & said no, this isn't for me.
We all thought computers would only be a phase that would wear out so I didn't bother too much about it.

When we went to STD 8 (equivalent to grade 10 in America) we had to choose which subject we wanted to take.
I friend of decided he wanted to take typing. (those days the only reason someone would take typing at school would be to pursue a career as a secretary or a typist).
His sole reasoning for taking typing was because he liked the idea of being the only boy in an all girls class.
We used to mock him & tell him he was going to be a secretary one day.
Today I wish I had taken the typing course at school because it would have assisted me in mastering the keyboard a lot faster.
Then again if I was in an all girls class & told them I wanted to be a py programmer, I wonder what their reaction would be?

After school I went to the army & done my 2 years compulsory national service in the army.
When my national service was completed I went to the mines & completed a trade as a miner.
I worked to 20 years on the mine, decided it was time for a change & started working in the security industry.
While at work one day, a friend of mine started talking about surfing the web & I didn't know what the hell he was talking about, so I started researching it.

The problem with computers today is that as soon as you master one level you find yourself at the bottom of another 10 levels & it seems to be an ongoing circle.

My main objective regarding computers now is to be bale to do data mining & be able to learn one language which will be compatible with all the other computer languages.
Last edited by Mekire on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Welcome. First post lock. Tradition.
Hermes14

Postby stranac » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Cool introduction.
Welcome to do forum!

Also nice to see some people actually read the new user thread...
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby metulburr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 pm

welcome to the forums

The problem with computers today is that as soon as you master one level you find yourself at the bottom of another 10 levels & it seems to be an ongoing circle.

tell me about it!
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Hermes14 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:34 am

Thanks guys

Where I come from it is only good manners to introduce yourself first
It helps to break the ice & get to know each other a bit.
Hermes14

PreviousNext

Return to Bar