Posts from the "Old Forum"

Posts from the "Old Forum"

Postby stranac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 am

As far as I know, the database backup is lost(but I haven't talked to Taos in a long time).
However, metulburr(I think) downloaded a pretty good part of the forum(about a quarter of all posts, it seems) as html/xml pages.

I did some parsing and extracted the data, and when I wanted to look through it... I found that looking through an sql database or text files is a bit of a pain.
So I decided to make an app of some kind, to make it more enjoyable.
And I had a partial design for the "Python Python Forum"(I started working on it before Taos decided to go with the PHP version anyway), so I decided to put that to some use.

This is what I ended up with:
Python Forum Archive

The design is a bit rough, the functionality is very limited(I'll add some more when I have some time), but still, you can look through old posts.
Hope you find it useful.

If you have any comments/requests, just let me know.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Re: Posts from the "Old Forum"

Postby metulburr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am

ah nice.

However, metulburr(I think) downloaded a pretty good part of the forum(about a quarter of all posts, it seems) as html/xml pages.

I only got 1/4 of them then? The posts do seems choppy, like they are missing some, but better than nothing.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

That's all we have left? Ouch. :cry:
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
Minimalist, buddhist, theist, and programmer
Current languages: Python, SAS, and C++
Previous serious languages: R, Java, VBA, Lisp, HyperTalk, BASIC
ichabod801

Postby micseydel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

The other problem with this is that the money we raised for Taos was to buy this data that's gone now, right? The domain just expired and he grabbed it, so that wasn't as much the cost as the attempt to preserve the community.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby bunburya » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 am

From what I've heard, Taos thinks he has the old backup but it's at home, and he is away from home for Uni at the moment. That is, unless there has been an update since.

I would hope that we can find the full backup. Given the amount of money that was donated, the way things have gone down has been pretty disappointing.
http://www.bunburya.eu | https://github.com/bunburya

Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
bunburya

Postby jkbbwr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Yea it should be the full back up. Im 90% sure I have it on a remote drive but that drive is not connected to the internet so I physically have to go to it.
jkbbwr

Return to Bar