forum database merge status ?

forum database merge status ?

Postby metulburr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 am

What is the status of the forum database merging?
Last edited by Yoriz on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: forum database merge status ?

Postby micseydel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm

I was waiting to hear back from jkbbwr about this (and never did). No one discussed the idea, so I forgot about it really. Yay or nay on hosting the old forum next to the new forum instead of merging? I feel like merging for phpBB will be more painful than merging for a Python forum this community writes itself.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Kebap » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:52 pm

It would indeed be a nice and simple step to have the old forum as a read-only archive at pythonforum - This could be done quickly.

Then again, the end goal should be to try and merge the two forums. This will surely take more work. When I google for "merge phpbb" I find lots of hits, so even though it is no standard function, it has indeed been done successfully before.

The status of the python forum software I do not know, and I do not think we should do the same error again and rely too much on it, before it is actually usable.

Too bad jkbbwr does not update the status too often. I can understand how he is probably pretty busy, but then again we need to be able to offer help somehow as well. I see good suggestions in the other thread as well, but no responses either.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby micseydel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Merging them will not restore the old bookmarks, and I believe will likely break new ones. It may be difficult to prevent that if it is possible at all. I will commit to doing it if people want, but it will take time and I'll come here to ask for feedback on how to proceed when there are decisions to be made.

I'm not sure if I can assign topic IDs however I wish, or if they need to be linear with respect to time, yet. If they do not need to be linear; would people like to make requests for topic IDs which are important to not change? (For bookmarks.) If they are linear, then all the posts on this current forum will change and there's no way around it. Also, old bookmarks would still have to drop the /python-forum part of the URLs since even if we use the old topic IDs we aren't going to revert to that icky legacy behavior.

Alternative ideas I'm thinking of now would be to recover specific posts from the old forum and merge them on a case-by-case basis, and if possible increase people's post count. I'm really not sure what's possible yet.

RE: using previous solutions
We have a bit of special cases, since we need to merge some users stuff. You're welcome to do the research for me and figure that out, but do be aware that our case may be at least slightly more complicated, and I'm afraid the tools won't do well. Perhaps we could use one of those tools and then do spot adjustments. Just brainstorming here.

Thoughts?

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby ochichinyezaboombwa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 pm

my 2cc:
at this point, I think the 99% of the value of this effort would be to just make sure the old content is accessible / indexed by search engines.

Meaning : forget the old / new urls etc, just post the content on the web. Bring the old content online, it will revive this forum.

As for the "/python-forum" part: that should be trivial? (virtual dir on Apache config, no programming involved) - or am I missing some big hidden rock?
But again, it probably doesn't matter.
ochichinyezaboombwa

Postby micseydel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 am

ochichinyezaboombwa wrote:As for the "/python-forum" part: that should be trivial? (virtual dir on Apache config, no programming involved) - or am I missing some big hidden rock?

Theoretically, I can do the merge and then deploy the changes myself. To modify Apache requires jkbbwr.

Someone mentioned here or in the other thread about jkbbwr not being active; if he gave us all the power we needed, such as one or more people having Apache power, then I would have no problem with him having a life. But I'm not happy that he didn't put someone in his place before he bailed.

micseydel

Postby jkbbwr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:46 am

I haven't completely bailed and I am returning, so smile :) Im back and for good.

You will also be happy to know that hosting is ensured by a good friend of mine, and after the first year we no longer have to pay.

As far as the "new" forum goes, I will be looking into designing it eventually, getting my head around the database is gonna be a little bit of a pain in the ass but Im going to start a discussion about that shortly.

As far as the "old" forum goes, I will generate a dump of this current version, let mic fire up phpBB locally and attempt a merge or generation, or go with "/pythonforumold" or something, if he finds a succinct solution then It will get implemented to the public soon as he is ready.
jkbbwr

Postby micseydel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 pm

jkbbwr wrote:As far as the "old" forum goes, I will generate a dump of this current version, let mic fire up phpBB locally and attempt a merge or generation, or go with "/pythonforumold" or something, if he finds a succinct solution then It will get implemented to the public soon as he is ready.

Once you get working on the new forum, feel free to prescribe a format that you want the old data in for import into the new version. I've looked at the dump a little bit so I would probably be the best one to convert it for the new (and I assume that if the current forum doesn't match the old, that they're very similar).

Let me know once you start hacking away at the new forum too, I'd like to contribute but at the moment am busy getting used to my new job and still getting settled in my new apartment.

micseydel

Postby jkbbwr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Same for me tbh, new job, degree and life in the way
jkbbwr

Postby pydsigner » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:23 am

I feel like open-source work is almost always like this for us as programmers -- we always want to contribute to a bazillion projects, but then the reality that there are only 24 hours in each day hits us hard. :D
Desktop: Linux Mint 16, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2.4GHz Xeon
Laptop: Win8.1, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1.6GHz 4th gen i5
Python: 2.7.4

For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved! (John 3:17)
pydsigner

Return to Bar