For GUI Programs: Python Only vs. Python + GUI Tool

Post here if you need help with creating a Graphical User Interface in Python.

For GUI Programs: Python Only vs. Python + GUI Tool

Postby millis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Hello,

After performing a few searches, I haven't been able to find the answer:

Can anyone provide a link or briefly summarize the pro's & con's of using "Python only" vs. "Python + add-on GUI tool" for creating Python apps that use a GUI?

I am starting to create GUI's for applications/programs but I'm unsure how important it would be to use "stock Python" compared to "Python + GUI tool" if others will be using my programs

Thank you,

millis
When I'm in a difficult situation and there seems to be no possible solution, for some reason I always feel a little better, have a little more optimism when I remember the scene where George Jetson screams "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!"
millis

Re: For GUI Programs: Python Only vs. Python + GUI Tool

Postby micseydel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:19 pm

If you're talking about IDLE, it's just a primitive IDE.

If you're talking about end-user facing apps, then that's a bit more interesting. If you give a programmer a script written in Python that does a cool thing but lacks a GUI, they'll typically be ecstatic that the new thing is now available to them. If you give a layperson a script that fixes everything in their life but they need to be able navigate a command line, pass flags, and understand directory hierarchies without being able to click something, you'll have wasted your time.
I personally would rather use a webpage than Qt/wxPython or any of the other options, but you should design some kind of nice UI for general use.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 pm

What do you mean by stock python?

Initially reading your post, it makes me think as if you are talking about tkinter packaged with python as "stock python". If that is the case...then tkinter only comes packages with python on windows. On some linux distros I must also install tkinter packages as well, like any other GUI library. Of course "stock python" to me means just console only.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby millis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 am

Thank you both for the replies

Ya, I have an old Linux/XFCE laptop that I keep in the garage. Ironically, even though it's old and the processor seems anemic compared to modern computers, it's still has a very snappy, fast feel to it when just surfing the web or performing simple tasks.

I will put Python on it and begin using it more.

Because I've only installed Python on my machines running various flavors of Windows, I was under the assumption that Tkinter (?) was just part of Python and "everyone" had it.

My primary goals involve (1) ease of use, and (2) compatibility when sharing my programs with others.

Oh, I inquired about joining the Python group here in Atlanta - I look forward to meeting them and I hope my work schedule (3 jobs) will allow me to visit with them each month.

Thanks very much,

m
When I'm in a difficult situation and there seems to be no possible solution, for some reason I always feel a little better, have a little more optimism when I remember the scene where George Jetson screams "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!"
millis

Postby metulburr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 am

Because I've only installed Python on my machines running various flavors of Windows, I was under the assumption that Tkinter (?) was just part of Python and "everyone" had it.

No on windows it definately comees with tkinter, and i think it also comes packaged with IDLE. That is all meant for the ease of the programmer.

My primary goals involve (1) ease of use, and (2) compatibility when sharing my programs with others.

You can always package the program so others wont have to install the GUI library or even python for that matter. However people in linux tend to know how to install a 3rd party library if needed, and python comes with the standard linux anyways (normally).
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby millis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:59 am

Thank you

So, there is a way to include the additional code being referenced - I should have known this was possible and I'll investigate the best methods for doing this

I have a large round kitchen table - I told my wife I feel like there are 4000 puzzle pieces on the table and I have figured out how to put two or three of them together (ha)

Thanks again,

m
:)
millis

Return to GUI