TabError when installing python

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

TabError when installing python

Postby RedEyedDog1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 am

Hi

I need help with this error when using make for installing python.

Code: Select all
root@debian:/home/halo11/Desktop/Code/MOXA/Python-3.1# make
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g  -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/config.o Modules/config.c
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g  -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -DPYTHONPATH='":plat-linux2"' \
      -DPREFIX='"/usr/local"' \
      -DEXEC_PREFIX='"/usr/local"' \
      -DVERSION='"3.1"' \
      -DVPATH='""' \
      -o Modules/getpath.o ./Modules/getpath.c
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g  -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -DSVNVERSION="\"`LC_ALL=C echo Unversioned directory`\"" -o Modules/getbuildinfo.o ./Modules/getbuildinfo.c
rm -f libpython3.1.a
ar rc libpython3.1.a Modules/getbuildinfo.o
ar rc libpython3.1.a Parser/acceler.o Parser/grammar1.o Parser/listnode.o Parser/node.o Parser/parser.o Parser/parsetok.o Parser/bitset.o Parser/metagrammar.o Parser/firstsets.o Parser/grammar.o Parser/pgen.o Parser/myreadline.o Parser/tokenizer.o
ar rc libpython3.1.a Objects/abstract.o Objects/boolobject.o Objects/bytes_methods.o Objects/bytearrayobject.o Objects/bytesobject.o Objects/cellobject.o Objects/classobject.o Objects/cobject.o Objects/codeobject.o Objects/complexobject.o Objects/descrobject.o Objects/enumobject.o Objects/exceptions.o Objects/genobject.o Objects/fileobject.o Objects/floatobject.o Objects/frameobject.o Objects/funcobject.o Objects/iterobject.o Objects/listobject.o Objects/longobject.o Objects/dictobject.o Objects/memoryobject.o Objects/methodobject.o Objects/moduleobject.o Objects/object.o Objects/obmalloc.o Objects/capsule.o Objects/rangeobject.o Objects/setobject.o Objects/sliceobject.o Objects/structseq.o Objects/tupleobject.o Objects/typeobject.o Objects/unicodeobject.o Objects/unicodectype.o Objects/weakrefobject.o
ar rc libpython3.1.a Python/_warnings.o Python/Python-ast.o Python/asdl.o Python/ast.o Python/bltinmodule.o Python/ceval.o Python/compile.o Python/codecs.o Python/errors.o Python/frozen.o Python/frozenmain.o Python/future.o Python/getargs.o Python/getcompiler.o Python/getcopyright.o Python/getplatform.o Python/getversion.o Python/graminit.o Python/import.o Python/importdl.o Python/marshal.o Python/modsupport.o Python/mystrtoul.o Python/mysnprintf.o Python/peephole.o Python/pyarena.o Python/pyctype.o Python/pyfpe.o Python/pymath.o Python/pystate.o Python/pythonrun.o Python/structmember.o Python/symtable.o Python/sysmodule.o Python/traceback.o Python/getopt.o Python/pystrcmp.o Python/pystrtod.o Python/dtoa.o Python/formatter_unicode.o Python/dynload_shlib.o   Python/thread.o
ar rc libpython3.1.a Modules/config.o Modules/getpath.o Modules/main.o Modules/gcmodule.o
ar rc libpython3.1.a Modules/_threadmodule.o  Modules/signalmodule.o  Modules/posixmodule.o  Modules/errnomodule.o  Modules/pwdmodule.o  Modules/_sre.o  Modules/_codecsmodule.o  Modules/_weakref.o  Modules/_functoolsmodule.o  Modules/_localemodule.o  Modules/_iomodule.o Modules/iobase.o Modules/fileio.o Modules/bytesio.o Modules/bufferedio.o Modules/textio.o Modules/stringio.o  Modules/zipimport.o  Modules/symtablemodule.o  Modules/xxsubtype.o
ranlib libpython3.1.a
gcc -pthread  -Xlinker -export-dynamic -o python \
         Modules/python.o \
         libpython3.1.a -lpthread -ldl  -lutil   -lm 
  File "./setup.py", line 221
    return
         ^
TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

I didnt even know compilers cared about tabs and spaces?

Thanks in advance.
RedEyedDog1

Re: TabError when installing python

Postby tnknepp » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 pm

If you are running debian you should already have Python.
Are you installing Python, or a Python module/package? You should be able to make use of the repository, e.g. sudo apt-get install python
Python: 2.7 via Anaconda
Numpy: 1.7
Pandas: 0.11
IDE: Spyder/IPython
tnknepp

Re: TabError when installing python

Postby micseydel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Python does actually care about indentation, and it cares how you do it (somewhat), which should make sense given that it's done for readability and mixing tabs and spaces really hurts that.

My editor, Sublime, will unify tabs and spaces, and the error you get tells you what line you need to fix. However if you still need help with doing so you can post your script and we can take a look at it.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help