Python Code for Intrusion Detection System

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Python Code for Intrusion Detection System

Postby Elvis » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi everyone

Iam a student who is interested in building an Intrusion Detection System in python as my project. However I request for the python code which can assist me to customise to my needs, could any one assist me with this code. I will need some support on where to get started.

support like where to find the required resources which will as well help me, libraries, tutorials on similar project etc.

Please thanks for you understanding. Hope to here from you.

Elvis
Last edited by stranac on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
Elvis

Re: Python Code for Intrusion Detection System

Postby micseydel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:47 pm

This is entirely too vague to be answered in the context of a general programming forum. You should start with looking at what hardware you'll need, and if it needs to integrate with a computer you can use Python to communicate with the hardware. What libraries you'll need will depend on the hardware. Once you know more specifically what you need to accomplish in Python, you can ask a more specific question to which we can give a more specific answer.

If you want my blunt advice though, your question shows that you don't really know what you're doing. You're going to have a very difficult time with the project you've set out toward. I have ~8 years of experience with Python and programming, on top of a little bit of Arduino microcontroller experience and I would still be intimidated by this kind of project, even though I can imagine vaguely how I'd approach it.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Postby Elvis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Please micseydel ,

Ideally am designing an IDS based on the threshold values. I only need the python script which can allow me to detect the incoming packet flows into the network. then from here i want to deetermine the anomalies. I hope now am better understood.

Any Response is highly appreciated

Regards
Elvis

Postby Kebap » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Elvis, nice name there :)

I understand, English is not your main language? Some things you say I found not easy to understand. It may be the topic, too.

Surely you have tried to google "python intrusion detection" before? I find some completed scripts there already.. Maybe it helps?
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby micseydel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:41 pm

So you already have a system in place which is connected to your network? That's important information, you need to include those things in the first place rather than retrospectively. Still, what precisely do you need help with? I suspect using a framework like Twisted would allow you to write a server and receive the data. Once you receive it, you can process it however you like with respect to "thresholds".

If you don't know Python, you need to learn Python. We can help you through that, but read this first. If you do need Python and you just need specific help, ask the most specific question you can muster.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help