quit smoking

quit smoking

Postby metulburr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 am

You know, i remember posting on the board last year that i was attempting to quit smoking. I got to a little over a month before. Now i tried again. Hopefully this time it sticks

QuitDate: 02/16/13 02:30 AM EST - 2 packs/day - Cold Turkey

What really sucks is i havent been able to concentrate at all on programming or anything actually. The first week i stared at the wall. I just now started programming again a little, but my fuse is shorter now for the time being. I guess it could take a month or two to get my body "back to normal" and adjust to not having nicotine, and mental cravings, etc.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: quit smoking

Postby Yoriz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Good luck, stick with it.
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby rrashkin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Don't know if this helps but when I quit (smoked a pipe for 40 years; quit when I turned 60) I found drinking really good bourbon a great oral fix substitute.

Postby micseydel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:32 pm

I believe Ronald Reagan kept jelly beans around as something to help curb people's oral need too.

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby ichabod801 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 am

Good luck man, or vaguely gendered internet being as the case may be.

One trick I learned is to have a social group you have to give updates to. The idea being that you don't want to let down your friends who are rooting for you. So post here every day you don't have a cigarette.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
Minimalist, buddhist, theist, and programmer
Current languages: Python, SAS, and C++
Previous serious languages: R, Java, VBA, Lisp, HyperTalk, BASIC
ichabod801

Postby Ephexeve » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Still no luck here, been using 1/2 packet a day. Suffering. Though it's really hard.
- Ephexeve

Python/Ruby/C
Vim/Gentoo
Mysql/PostgreSQL/MongoDB
Ephexeve

Postby ichabod801 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm

I used the Life Sign computer to quit. Well, actually I used several things to quit, but that was the one that finally worked. It gradually weans you off the cigarettes. It's a chunk of change, but if it works it will definitely pay for itself.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm

I used the Life Sign computer to quit. Well, actually I used several things to quit, but that was the one that finally worked. It gradually weans you off the cigarettes. It's a chunk of change, but if it works it will definitely pay for itself.

interesting. Is it like general stats, how many smokes you have not smoked, how long since you quit, etc. Does it have anything else?
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm

metulburr wrote:interesting. Is it like general stats, how many smokes you have not smoked, how long since you quit, etc. Does it have anything else?

No, it's not stats. For a couple weeks you smoke as normal. Everytime you smoke a cigarette you press a button on the fob. That tells it how much you smoke. Then it switches modes. In the second mode, you smoke when it beeps. You can only smoke when it beeps, and you have to smoke immediately when it beeps. It slowly makes the time between cigarettes longer and longer, weaning you of your physical addiction.

Every other time I'd quit cigarettes, I'd be saying things like "Okay, it's been 10 days, 5 hours, and 36 minutes since my last cigarette." I was totally obsessed with the fact that I couldn't smoke. It was so smooth with the Life Sign that a few weeks after I'd quit I realized I didn't know what day I'd had my last cigarette on.

Mind you, I've heard of people it didn't work well for. You gotta find what works for you. But that thing worked for me so I recommend at least giving it a try.

Edit: I quit back in the late 80s. These days, with smart phones and you being a programmer, you might be able to make your smart phone do something similar and save the cash.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:35 am

I am at the end of day 25. I am attemptng to rewrite my quit smoking program. But i can tell my brain is way off than what it use to be. I find myself making stupid mistakes that before i would scolded someone else for. When the program doesnt run as expected, i find myself automatically going to grab a cig where they use to be. At that point it is depressing. I find breaks from programming longer than actually programming.

Some days are good, i dont think about cigs. Some days that is all i think about, and i am pacing back and forth trying to get through the day. There have been what must of been 100 times where i almost broke my quit.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby metulburr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:53 am

I am now the longest time ever quit. Day 37 soon. Last year i cracked on day 36.

I still think about smokes all the time.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 am

One month is one of the most common times to start smoking again. Celebrate to reinforce the idea of quitting. Take the money you would have spent on cigarettes and go do something fun you wouldn't normally do.

And congratulations for making it so far! :D
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am

on 49 days without a cig now. I almost caved in a few time this past week and bought cigs, but somehow stuck my ground. People said it can take up to a year to get use to not smoking. DAMN. That is long, lol. Im constantly thinking of cigs and breaking my quit, i couldnt imagine that for about a year

this is actually the output from my latest quit smoking program.
Quit Date: 02/16/2013 02:30 AM
Cigarettes avoided: 1924
Money saved: $82.77
Since last smoke: 48 days, 3 hours, 54 minutes, 12 seconds
Life saved: 14 days, 16 hours, 53 minutes, 13 seconds
You are on day: 49

[#################################] 100% 20 minutes: Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet are returned to normal
[#################################] 100% 8 Hours: Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction
[#################################] 100% 12 Hours: Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels has dropped to normal
[#################################] 100% 24 Hours: Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels
[#################################] 100% 48 Hours: Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks
[#################################] 100% 72 Hours: Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase
[#################################] 100% 5-8 days: The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them
[#################################] 100% 10 days: The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes
[#################################] 100% 10 Days - 2 Weeks: Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user
[#################################] 100% 21 Days: Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers
[#################################] 100% 2-4 Weeks: Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended
[############################-----] 85% 8 Weeks: Insulin resistance in smokers has normalized despite average weight gain of 2.7 kg (1997 study)
[#################----------------] 52% 2 Weeks - 3 Months: Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve
[#################----------------] 51% 3 Weeks - 3 Months: Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared
[#####----------------------------] 17% 1-9 Months: Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs, thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased
[####-----------------------------] 13% 1 Year: Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker
[---------------------------------] 1% 10 Years: Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined. Your risk of developing diabetes is now similar to that of a never-smoker
[---------------------------------] 1% 13 Years: Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker
[---------------------------------] 0% 5-15 Years: Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker
[---------------------------------] 0% 15 Years: Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked
[---------------------------------] 0% 20 Years: Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker. Risk of pancreatic cancer reduced to that of a never-smoker
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby setrofim » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 am

Congratulations on sticking it out so far!

I just wanted to tell you: good luck. We're all counting on you.
setrofim

Postby micseydel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm sorry that it's so hard but you're doing great man, keep it up! You won't regret it! Cool program too.

Have you made a repo for this?

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 am

Have you made a repo for this?

no but i uploaded it to my website:
http://www.metulburr.com/downloads.html under quit smoking terminal v0.2.5 (or the latest)

or for that specific version:
http://www.metulburr.com/download/quit_ ... v0.2.5.zip (which will be deleted upon new version)
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby metulburr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 am

i just now made a repo for it. I am not really "great" at github. I just follow the commands given, other than that not sure, lol. Like i would have no idea on how to "edit" or change the repo after creating. I might have to make my next project teaching myself to be more fluent in github

https://github.com/metulburr/quit_smoking_terminal

wow i just looked at the orginal post of this thread, and i am like DAMN i am glad i ma not back there again. At least now i can program and focus a lot better on my programming.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 am

http://try.github.com/

It's very easy to get the basics down.

micseydel

Postby metulburr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 am

oooh bookmarking that for myself and others whom will eventually ask. Thanks for the url. I love interactive tuts.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby metulburr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 am

it appears to work, until i try to authorize the try app on my github account, which returns a message
We're sorry, but something went wrong.

very informative, right? lol. I dont know maybe somethings up with their server now or whatever. Ill try again later
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Return to Bar