What IDE do you use ?

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

What IDE do you use ?

Postby drpaneas » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:57 am

I am quite new in the Python world, so I was wondering what's your text editor or IDE you love to hate. Afaik Python uses IDLE, I would like to know what's about Sublime and Python plugins.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old
--> My Python tutorial for beginners <--
drpaneas

Re: What IDE do you use ?

Postby Mekire » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Python doesn't "use" IDLE. IDLE is just a very lightweight IDE that generally comes packaged with Python distributions. It isn't very good, though it is acceptable for beginners. I have heard great things about Pycharm though I haven't used it. Notepad++ is a decent lightweight option. Pyscripter is pretty good for windows (although occasionally infuriatingly unstable). Some people use pydev with Ecclipse though again I haven't tried it. You will find endless amounts of information on this by searching here; stack overflow; or google. In the end though you will have to try a few things out to see what you like (or can live with).

-Mek
New Users, Read This
  • Use code tags when posting code.
  • Include any errors with your post (in code tags).
  • Describe your problem; not your chosen solution.
  • Make examples the minimum length to demonstrate your issue.
Mekire

Postby metulburr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:00 pm

You really do have to try out each and see. I have "tested" numerous ones, while actually using 10 in the past 3 years. The one i am using now, doesn't mean i will be using it next year.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby drpaneas » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Thank you very much for your information. I think I'll give PyCharm IDE a try. Currently, I am studying Learn Python GUI programming using Qt framework and the instructor uses PyCharm.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old
--> My Python tutorial for beginners <--
drpaneas

Postby Crimson King » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:40 pm

As Mekire and metulburr said it's a matter of personal taste/project specific needs.

I feel most comfortable when i code on linux using a text editor(sublime text) + terminal.

But, Recently i've started using Eclipse with the pydev plugin for a Django project i'm currently working on as that is the tool the project leader was using (this gives pretty nice django and git support).

Good luck!
RIP #!
Crimson King

Postby llanitedave » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:47 am

I've pretty much settled on Geany. I had been using Eclipse with Pydev on Windows 7, and Geany on Linux, but for some reason I could get the configuration on Eclipse to stay stable between logins.

Geany has almost everything I need -- I'd like it if the font displays were a bit more fine-grained for different token types, but that's pretty much my only citicism of it for what I do at my level.
llanitedave

Return to General Coding Help