about installing matplotlib package

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

about installing matplotlib package

Postby kingkamekameha » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi there:

I am new to Python and I would like to install matplotlib on my Mac (10.7.5). When I download the matplotlib DMG package, it needs Python 2.7 to install. I notice that there are a few different versions of Python are on my mac, python2.5, python 2.6, python2.7 and python3.3. Because I did not know Mac comes with Python, I installed 3.3 on the machine. The thing I don't understand is that why matplotlib detects an older version of Python on my machine. How can I install this package? Many thanks.

Here is the summary of what I found.
1. At the Terminal prompt, when I type "python", I got
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Jul 31 2011, 19:30:53)

2. my bash.profile has the following line
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH
** In order to run Python 3.3, I need to type "python3.3" at the prompt, not "python".

3. Under /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions
There are
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Oct 10 2011 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Sep 26 2012 ..
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Oct 10 2011 2.3
drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Sep 26 2012 2.5
drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Sep 26 2012 2.6
drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Sep 26 2012 2.7
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Oct 10 2011 Current -> 2.7
Last edited by stranac on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
kingkamekameha

Re: about installing matplotlib package

Postby micseydel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Have you followed the instructions here? If so, what is your problem exactly? Give as much detail as possible, any errors, any deviation from the exact instructions* that could cause the problem.

* I mention this in case for some reason you couldn't follow the instructions, since if you can you should be. Especially if it isn't working.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby kingkamekameha » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Yes, I follow the instruction from matplotlib to install it on a Mac using its released dmg file. The problem I encounter is that matplotlib does not know a version of Python met its requirement is already in the system. The error message is something like "matplotlib requires Python version 2.7" in the window.

I download v2.7.6 directly from Python's website and re-install it and modify the PATH in the .bash_profile. Hence, I totally ignored all those previous installed Python in my system. Now, matplotlib is happy now and installed successfully.

Although I solve my own problem, I would still like to know why matplotlib thinks I have an older version of Python in my system and how to modify my bash_profile to let it know I DO have a v2.7 or above installed. Thanks.
kingkamekameha

Postby micseydel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Your bash PATH is only local to a Terminal session, it doesn't affect the operating system at large. On Windows you right click your computer to do this on a larger scale, though I'm not sure how it is done on OS X. I'm sure you could Google that, but do know that Bash is inside of OS X and that OS X isn't affected by local changes to a Bash session.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to General Discussions