Fixing some stuff

Fixing some stuff

Postby stranac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:28 pm

So...I got access to the server today.

You guys will probably be happy to hear that I've(somewhat and temporarily) fixed the moderation panel.
So that thing should be usable again.

A "real" fix would probably require updating the phpbb version and messing with some php scripts(which I can do, and probably will soon).
There will probably be some downtime(not too much) while I'm doing that, but I'll notify everyone before I do anything like that.

If you have any ideas of stuff that needs to be changed/fixed, let me know, and I'll see what I can do about it.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Re: Fixing some stuff

Postby metulburr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 pm

So...I got access to the server today.

Really? Thats awesome.

A laundry list of things that need to be done.
1) Logo
2) favion.ico
3) Python syntax highlighting
4) Themes
5) some spam mod (something that you click one button and it will all delete ...the user, ban ip, delete posts.) Currently we have to do each individually per spam, multiple clicks. It would be nice to click once per spam and have it auto do all that for you.
6) I dont know about you, but i would feel a lot comfortable with some kind of database backup. I mean another location besides the current server, as this server is quite unrealiable
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby ochichinyezaboombwa » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Awesome! (everything else won't fit into this post:-)).
ochichinyezaboombwa

Postby stranac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 pm

metulburr wrote:1) Logo
2) favion.ico

Do we have those?
metulburr wrote:3) Python syntax highlighting

I'll need to find a plugin for that. Everything I see seems pretty dated.
metulburr wrote:4) Themes

Which ones? There's like a million themes for pbpbb out there.
metulburr wrote:5) some spam mod (something that you click one button and it will all delete ...the user, ban ip, delete posts.) Currently we have to do each individually per spam, multiple clicks. It would be nice to click once per spam and have it auto do all that for you.

I'll ask around, to try and find something that works well.
metulburr wrote:6) I dont know about you, but i would feel a lot comfortable with some kind of database backup. I mean another location besides the current server, as this server is quite unrealiable

Should be pretty easy to create a backup.

I think the forum software should probably be updated before doing any of the changes.
I'm not sure if the mods and stuff would stay after an update(probably not, since modding often requires overwriting phpbb code...).

I'd like to do the update on a day when I know I'll have the time to actually fully complete all the stuff I need to do.
I'd also like to let people know about it at least a few days before it happens. Probably will be the next weekend...

DB backup and changing the logo/favicon is something I can do before the update, though.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby metulburr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 pm

i dont think we really have a logo or favicon.ico decided, but i think anything other than phpbb logo, because it makes it look horrid, and there currently is not even a defualt favion.ico.

I dont remember which thread, but someone wanted a specific theme. It would be cool if we added like 3-5 themes for starters for people to change to what they want. I personally wont use them as i am so accustomed to the default phpbb theme.

I'd like to do the update on a day when I know I'll have the time to actually fully complete all the stuff I need to do.
I'd also like to let people know about it at least a few days before it happens. Probably will be the next weekend..

yay
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 pm

As a temporary solution to syntax highlighting, if PHP highlighting were the default, it would be quite close. Sometimes that's what I use just because you can't really tell it isn't meant for Python.

There was a request that users be able to upload custom themes, and the person who made the request said that we could enable that.

I would be pleasantly surprised if there was a one-click button to ban and delete a user and their posts, given that it doesn't already exist. It would be such a time saver though!

Since I have admin privileges, I have created backups in the past and it's quite easy. If you could setup a script to make the backups on a regular basis and have something local for you to scp them to your box to make it a remote backup, that'd be awesome. Otherwise I'd happily accept responsibility for either manually making backups daily/weekly or writing a mechanize script to get it off the site.

Thanks for stepping up + being communicative stranac!
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am

I would be pleasantly surprised if there was a one-click button to ban and delete a user and their posts, given that it doesn't already exist. It would be such a time saver though!

I know there is a plugin to do this for MyBB, i would think there should be the equivalent in PhpBB.
The MyBB one is:
http://mods.mybb.com/view/goodbye-spammer

http://mods.mybb.com/uploads/previews/1 ... ctions.png
The image shows "some" settings, the ban the users IP addresses were in the ACPsettings for the plugin. Im not sure why they didnt put all of them in the quick option though.

It added a new button to the view profile page to admins and mods with the label googdbye spammer. You didnt even have to log into ACP. It was right there in their view profile page (only for amdin/mods). You also had the option to how much is done when you click that button. I set it to everything. Once clicked, it bans their IP address, and any that they logged in to that account from, deletes all posts by that user, and deletes the user. If for some reason you did not want to delete the user, you could change the settings to not delete the account, but clear their profile and signature instead.

This made it nice and quick to remove spammers
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby admin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 am

Just as a reminder, remember to make hard backups of the database before doing anything dangerous.

Also try not to mess with anything complex as this setup *could* be fragile
admin
Site Admin

Postby micseydel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 pm

admin wrote:Just as a reminder, remember to make hard backups of the database before doing anything dangerous.

Also try not to mess with anything complex as this setup *could* be fragile

Is this stranac or jkbbwr?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby stranac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Wasn't me...
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby stranac » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am

Just letting you guys know that the update won't be happening this weekend.
Got some pretty silly school stuff going on I unfortunately can't avoid.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby stranac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:47 am

The update is gonna happen this weekend(like 99% sure).

I'm not sure exactly when, but expect the forum to go down for some time(don't know how long, since I've never updated php and phpbb before).
I will put up a notice when I start doing stuff, so the users will know it's not just more random downtime.

If I have time for stuff other than the update, such as installing mods, I'll do that too.
Although I will need to find the mods first...
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby Kebap » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks for working on this! :geek:
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby stranac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:06 pm

I actually haven't had server access since jkbbwr moved the forum to a new host.
He said he would be much more active on the forum, so I thought there was no reason to insist on getting access again. I guess he wasn't telling the truth...
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Return to Suggestions