What is the purpose of twitter?

What is the purpose of twitter?

Postby metulburr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 pm

I dont understand the need for all these social networking sites. my space, facebook, google+, twitter, the list seems to go on and on. my space essentially died, and facebook is now the king, at some point something will supersede that.

I "guess" i can understand the reason for all of them for the exception of twitter. I just logged into my account to actually use it, and i have spam twitter posts, and i am apparently following like 800 people, when i remember only following 4. I dont know about you, but i dont feel the need is so important to find out what the latest thing some famous dude said in the past hour, etc. Especially if it involves clicking "unfollow" for 800 spam post followings.

Maybe i am just getting old, coming up on my 30's.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: What is the purpose of twitter?

Postby Mekire » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:36 pm

The only practical purpose I could see in it is for marketing as you develop. Twitter lets you tell people you are progressing in bite sized chunks. People might not read a whole devblog, but they might read a 144 character update. It is extremely hard to get any attention as an indie game dev these days. The ones who are successful probably spend more of their time marketing than they do actually developing. Many will tell you that running something like a kickstarter is even a full time job and you shouldn't expect to get any work done in that month.

Anyway, I think that is the only reason I would ever consider using it (if I ever get a nice project completed). My sister, on the other hand, swears by it for networking with others in academia.

Anyway, out of touch 30 year-old here as well,
-Mek
Mekire

Postby hrs » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I've wondered what noteworthy things that everybody doesn't already know can be said in 140 characters but there's not much I can come up with. And $35 per share for a company that produces nothing ... well, except targets for advertisers.

Maybe it's just a simple distraction for most users.

I have spoken to a guy that does free lance work and he said he gets his jobs from twitter so there may be some genuine utility to twitter for some people.
hrs

Postby Crimson King » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Raymond Hettinger posts cool pythonic tips on his twitter account.

/raymondh‎
Crimson King

Postby Kebap » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm

It is about speed. Spreading information. Doesn't matter the content. It's what people make of it.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby micseydel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:31 pm

I've used it to communicate with companies and celebrities regarding matters that are very public, and usually ones that require a response from them that can be useful to others or even answered by others. For one, it was about the the end time/length of an event, and for the other it was about the company's services going down. I'd rather that kind of communication happen on Twitter, where perhaps someone will see your tag and answer it before the person you asked, instead of sending an email, filling out a form, or even usually calling a phone number. It's kind of like a terse forum. I also use it on rare occasions to try to promote "viral" activity, like when Stephen Colbert said that The Red Cross (I think it was) would donate money per tweet of a certain hashtag.

In terms of being a viable company I do have my doubts. 140 characters doesn't leave much room for advertising, and extra texts could appear excessively obnoxious, and they clearly need to step up from where they are now since they aren't, nor have they ever been, profitable. Maybe they'll come up with some creative solution.

As for Myspace dying and Facebook taking over... Myspace was designed to be used by musicians and got taken over incidentally. Facebook attempts to do what it actually does, rather than something unintential, and does quite a decent job most of the time. G+ didn't catch on because it wasn't innovative enough for people to bother with it, and Facebook tries hard to move forward and try new things so I wouldn't be surprised if it stuck around for a while. Then again, maybe someone will make something markedly superior tomorrow, which wouldn't necessarily be too surprising. But it would at least be impressive, right?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Kebap » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 am

micseydel wrote:G+ didn't catch on

Nowadays, everytime I want to simply "thumbs up" a video on Youtube, I get coerced into linking my Youtube account to a G+ account, por favor. I think they are far from over, albeit not really started neither. Maybe they start taking over once Facebook dies. (And when they start dying, what are they gonna do with all your semi-private data? hmm...)
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby micseydel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Again though, I think it'll be some form of innovation that causes people to switch. Not coercion. And I don't see Facebook just dying. It just seems like people like what it offers too much, and have so many friends there. You get occasional people who leave though they usually come back (I bet Facebook has hard stats on this). A mass exodus would be a big deal.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to Bar