Python 3.3.3 installation issues mac osx 10.8.5

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

Python 3.3.3 installation issues mac osx 10.8.5

Postby skevorki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Python 3.3.3 installation issues mac osx 10.8.5 missing folders after installation could be the cause of all my problems?

I am a complete beginner to programming, with absolutely no prior experience.

I got John Zelle's Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, second edition

I didn't think there were any issues installing (I'll get to that in a second)

Only being on chapter 3 so far I haven't run into any material I don't understand or any exercises I couldn't complete. (I do like the book and how it teaches so far).

Getting to chapter 4 it asked me to install to teach me how to use a (GUI) The chapter is called Objects and Graphics.

After downloading the file, and I didn't know where to put it. I looked around online and saw it should most likely go into a folder called pkgconfig in the lib folder of Python.

Look at the images and see that its missing in my python 3.3.3 installation. I tried to re-install a few times and no difference. I moved the python 3.3 folder to the frameworks folder where python 2.7 that came installed on my mac was just because I thought thats where it was supposed to be. ... 53db09.png

This first image shows where everything is in my system folder. ... b49baf.png

This second images shows all the files in my 2.7 folder, (which came installed on my mac) ... a2a4e0.png

In this image you can see that my lib, bin, extras... all those folders are not in my 3.3 folder, why I dont know. According to what I have already read i should have all these things. ... 5c2695.png

I added this because I wasnt sure if it would be helpful. ... e7e2b8.png

This is the final image showing the error I see when i try to import the graphics module with the instructions I have.

I'm guessing the reason is its not where its supposed to be, but I don't know where it should be, and I don't know why the folder I think it's supposed to be in is missing.

I was wondering where python is importing the math module from as well, since that works for me, and I thought I might install there, but I couldn't find that either.

Please help me figure all this out, I really want to continue to learn the subject, but I have been spending hours trying to figure simple things out, (which might not be a good sign) and getting very frustrated that I cant continue because I'm stuck on something like this.

Thank you -SK
Last edited by stranac on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.

Re: Python 3.3.3 installation issues mac osx 10.8.5

Postby metulburr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:53 pm

I would just put the guy's module in a directory where your files you am using are, and import them directly due to the fact they are in the same directory. see here

Or if you insist:

Also all those images are useless to us because they do not define the fullpath. Beside i wouldnt use images anyways, i would use a terminal and copy the text over and put them in code tags.
Code: Select all
metulburr@arch ~ $ ls /usr/lib/python3.3/
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8

Return to General Discussions