Is python the right language for my project?

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

Is python the right language for my project?

Postby Rolly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 am

I am new to programming, and I'm in search of an explanation of whether or not python would be a good language to learn to develop some basic hardware testing software. I work for a electronics recycling facility and we refurbish a lot of computers. we would like to start incorporating hardware testing procedures that are custom tailored to our needs. due to that, my company has offered to pay me, and pay for me, to pick up some skill in programming so i will be able to create custom software to test hardware and automate processes. I'm just looking for a good place to start and I'm wondering if python will be a suitable language for this type of task or will i be better off investing my time learning another language.
Last edited by Yoriz on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock
Rolly

Re: Is python the right language for my project?

Postby micseydel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 am

The information you've provided here isn't sufficiently specific to give you any useful answer. Are you going to be using existing programs and you just need to stitch them together somehow into a suite? What operating system(s) will you need to support? Do you have no idea at all where to start? Python could likely be a very useful part of your project, whether that means running a bunch of existing programs or providing a high level use of other components you may write in C yourself.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: Is python the right language for my project?

Postby Kebap » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:42 am

Python will definitely help you get your feet wet in programming, it also helps to come quickly from ideas to working code, not too much clutter alongside.

Whether or not you stay with python in the end for ever, depends on your exact requirements, which you did not give enough detail about, but just try then ask again.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Return to General Discussions