New Users Introduce Yourself

Re: New Users Introduce Yourself

Postby craigbert » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Hello,

My name is Craig and I am VERY new to python. I live in the north Dallas area in Texas.
I have been in IT for about 20 years and done a variety of things including programming, but that has mostly been with COBOL, RPG (AS/400 stuff), VB6, and VB.net.
I am intrigued by python because of the versatility: scripting, web, GUI, database, OOP, etc...

Most of my programming revolves around business applications: Work Order systems, Inventory, GL, AP, etc... all with database connectivity. So I am very interested in seeing what python has to offer in this regards. Most of my stuff is on Windows, but I do have some stuff for/on Linux too, which I prefer, but can seem to get enough clients to switch to.

I have some GUI questions so I believe I will head over to that part of the forum now. Nice to meet all of you guys!

Sincerely,

Craig
craigbert

Postby cisco » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 am

Hiya all!
Name's Luca and I'm an italian 25 years old Linux Sysadmin.
Recently I decided to study better python coz in the fall I'll enroll at Computer science course (started maths but then work take precedence and I didn't see the need to continue till now).
That said, I already did some python work in the past and I'm not new to programming (https://github.com/Flukas88).

All of that was just to say due words about me.

Bye

Luca
Last edited by Mekire on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
cisco

Postby Atila » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi.
My name is Arturo, and I'm mexican.
I'm self learning Python.
I'm glad to find this forum.
Regards
Atila

Postby Splinter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi All,

My name is Mark, 30 years old and living in Ireland. Been working in IT nearly 4 years now and trying to teach myself a bit more programming and scripting. Done some basic HTML and CSS over the years along with some javascript but it didn't go very well. Been working on Python now for a few weeks and enjoying it.

Hope to see some of you lot around :)

Cheers!
Mark
Splinter

Postby micseydel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Oh cool, bunburya is in Ireland too! (Unfortunately he hasn't been very active on the forum recently, but he's pretty active on the IRC channel.)

I would imagine that knowing Python and working in IT could potentially save you a ton of time! I'm a software engineer and I mostly use Java, but I use Python all the time for personal automation, and recently Jython for some testing.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Pyplate » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Hello,

My name's Steve, and I'm from Birmingham in the UK. I've been programming in C for about 20 years. I've spent a lot of time dealing with embedded systems and real time programming. I recently got into Python web development. I wish I'd made that change years ago, I really prefer Python.

I've written a simple content management system called Pyplate. It's written in Python and powered by an SQLite database. I use it to power two different sites, one hosted on a PC, and the other hosted on a Raspberry Pi cluster.
Last edited by Mekire on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyplate

Postby Seanliu » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Hello!
I am Sean, 10, and learning Java. I am also (not very) good at python. I just had a look at the posts, and my self-confidence levels dropped! Lol! I have just started using this forum, and this is VERY helpful!
The CoDeR!

--Sean Liu
Seanliu

Postby flashdamage » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello. My name's Vin and I'm from Colorado. I've been studying python for about a year now. I programmed much in my youth but gave it up in the pursuit of an art career; photography, illustration and music. My career trajectory has brought me back to code. I spend my working days reading over HTML and JavaScript for errors and working with developers to resolve platform bugs. Spending so much time around developers reminded me of how much I enjoyed programming as a kid and so here I am. I'm very focused on game design. In the last year I have also worked a little with C#, JavaScript and Unity but it's python I keep coming back to. I write about my programming projects in my personal blog (http://acrylicandsteel.com/).
flashdamage

Postby Mekire » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:38 pm

flashdamage wrote:I'm very focused on game design.

Welcome. Amateur gamedev is also my hobby (though I unfortunately lack the art background). Artists always tend to be our weakest link when trying to organize projects here (or anywhere). Good luck to you and feel free to post in the gamedev section if you have any questions. I did see on your blog you were having problems with pyganim. I have not used it, but I just wanted to say that this is not a package you install. It is just a module you place in the directory of your project (or anywhere in your path really, as long as you remember you need to distribute it with your game).

-Mek
Mekire

Postby flashdamage » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Mekire wrote:I just wanted to say that this is not a package you install. It is just a module you place in the directory of your project (or anywhere in your path really, as long as you remember you need to distribute it with your game).

-Mek

Thanks for the welcome. I figured that out after a night of sleep. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and sharing what talent I have.
flashdamage

Postby Pandora-Box » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi all,

This is Pandora .. I am new to Python and OOPS... I am basically a Mainframe developer .. Just thought of enhancing some new things to my learning .. I am finding Python pretty easier to learn .. I believe I could do some basic development...

Now the thing is I am not sure how Python differs from other languages .. Trying to understand its core value so it could be my focus point..

I have no clues on OOPS .. I am worried to mix up Python with OOP..

Just trying to understand does just learning "Python" may be MYsql.. Will that help in getting a job ??

or is it something like I got to be a Pro in LAMP architecture..??

Any pointers will help me in taking a big next step :)

Nice to be part of the forum :)
Last edited by Mekire on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tradiition. First post lock.
Pandora-Box

Postby stranac » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:34 am

Pandora-Box wrote:I am finding Python pretty easier to learn .. I believe I could do some basic development...

Yeah, it's pretty easy to pick up the basics of python if you already know them from somewhere else.
The chances are you're going to be writing some unpythonic code, but that gets fixed with time and experience.
Pandora-Box wrote:Now the thing is I am not sure how Python differs from other languages .. Trying to understand its core value so it could be my focus point..

It has a pretty simple syntax, it's very readable and fast to develop in.
And then there are a huge amounts of libraries to help doing pretty much anything you want.
Pandora-Box wrote:Just trying to understand does just learning "Python" may be MYsql.. Will that help in getting a job ??

or is it something like I got to be a Pro in LAMP architecture..??

Sorry, don't really understand what you're asking here.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby mckryall » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am

Hi, I'm mckryall, and I'm probably about a year late with this.

I live in the U.S., on the Gulf Coast. I'm only in 8th Grade, but I've had a few different Windows PCs since I was in 2nd grade. I was never really into video games or sports until now, but I've always loved to ask "What if _?" questions. I'm the kind of person who sees no difference in the fun of reading Wikipedia and reading about open-source projects all day and going outside and doing stuff like kayaking. I've become interested in many things that would be considered artistic and developmental over time, and have joined many-a forum. I've learned to make pixel art and flash/pivot animations, how to use pirated copies of Photoshop and After Effects, and countless other things I can't remember since it's 3:30 AM. I became interested in programming through modifying LUA code in the game Cortex Command (I still play it and modify it. My copy is so far from vanilla it's almost a different game.) and learned how to make standalone mods for it. I learned most of processing (A mainly visual Java modification, but without most of the language. Also, Arduino stole the IDE from it.) except for the last lesson because I was too young to understand it. I tried to learn Python two or three years ago, but only ever got as far as advanced string formatting. Last year, I decided "I'm going to make some shit with this thing." and just kind of did. I learned more and became active on this forum. I now use Python for things as complex as a slope-intercept form calculator that supports fractions to trivial things like a short "while True:" statement to solve an equation on my homework. I want to learn to use PyGame and maybe C# if I can get my Windows/Ubuntu desktop to work, but, for now, I'm stuck with a MacBook Air from my school that has strict installation rules. I've gotten around 3 out of 3 of our security programs, but I can't get around OSX's built in user privilege control system. In the future, I hope to become an Electronics Engineer. Not an Electrical Engineer, those are different. I also hope to make at least one game by the time I'm in college. One that has a full campaign. I play guitar and like to read.

I enjoy Star Trek:TNG, Doctor Who, The SCP Foundation (For the love of god, it's not creepypasta. It's fictional science.), Dexter, GarrysMod, the entire Half-Life series, the Portal Series, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Prison Architect, Cortex command, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, Assassins Creed: Black Flag - to some extent (GODDAMN ACCIDENTAL CLIMBING FUCKIN MISSIONS THAT TAKE 50 TRIES), I read The Daily WTF and XKCD, along with a few other webcomics. I code on a MacBook using TextWrangler and iTerm.

Alright, that about wraps it up. Thanks for reading my rant.

TL;DR:
I doo cohmpeuhter stuhf and i liek too lern stauf.
Python 2.7
Mac Mini
Laptop w/ Ubuntu 14.04
Steam; PSN
mckryall

Postby Pandora-Box » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 pm

stranac ,
Thanks for your response :)
I mean to ask should I be knowing " Linux,Apache,MySql,Python/PERL/PHP" to get a developer oppurtunity..
Pandora-Box

Postby jeremyflexer » Thu May 01, 2014 3:08 am

HI my name is Jeremy, I am 18 years old. I decided I had some interest in programming and computer science in general around 2011 but didn't start actually programming until 2012. For the next few months I am going to be studying https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2812 and related materials, once I finish my very basic irc bot I hope to write a more advanced one. After that I will probably maintain those two bots for fun and possibly study irc servers. My interest in irc is only a few days old so I have very little knowledge of it but I hope to learn more of it. So expect lots of questions :). My other hobbies include hanging out with friends, getting smashed, video games and computers in general.
jeremyflexer

Hello - new member!

Postby morgan » Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 am

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've joined a forum and been able to get my first name! I am the co-founder of an LA-based startup and do quite a bit of Python coding along with some Javascript. I've been on-and-off Python programming for about five years but am now at a point where I'm coding for most of the day. So I thought it would be good to join a community, so I thought I'd check this out.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning from each other!

Best,

Morgan
Last edited by metulburr on Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thread merged with New Users Introduce Yourself
morgan

Postby Larred » Thu May 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello im Jarred Hughes lee college student who is just learning python
Larred

Postby XndrK » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 pm

It's a tiny forum; in fact, the Alexa rating for this website is around 1.2 million. It's worth joining, though. Let's hope that you stay awhile.
Proverbs 26:14 describes me a bit too well.

Version: Python 2.7.5

https://github.com/4of92000
https://github.com/PythonForum/
XndrK

Postby frprim » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi
Im Bojan, new to programming. Actually I know nothing about programming. Some people say I should go with PHP but from sys admin perspective Python is a way to go.
Last edited by stranac on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frprim

Postby XndrK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Stick with Python. With a little bit of work, you can do virtually anything.
Proverbs 26:14 describes me a bit too well.

Version: Python 2.7.5

https://github.com/4of92000
https://github.com/PythonForum/
XndrK

PreviousNext

Return to Bar