How to silently uninstall 2.7 on Windows

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

How to silently uninstall 2.7 on Windows

Postby Mikey Boy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here (to the forums, that is). Hope I'm not violating any nettiquette here. I've searched the forum and couldn't find this already answered.

Does anyone know how to silently uninstall Python 2.7 - i.e. uninstall it unattended, with no need for user interaction? I need to do it as part of an uninstallation script that installs a bunch of software silently. I've tried running msiexec with the /x and /qn flags on the msi file that was originally installed, but it fails - it just throws up the general help message, implying that I'm using invalid options.

I've done a Google search, and can find help for earlier versions - they can be uninstalled silently by running the unwise.exe that's installed with them, with the right options. But 2.7 doesn't seem to include an unwise.exe, so I can't do that.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Mikey Boy

Re: How to silently uninstall 2.7 on Windows

Postby Ephexeve » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Well, I am not sure about that, since I haven't used Windows in a long time, but what you can do is delete all the Python files, remove the C:\\PythonX, remove register keys and etc.
- Ephexeve

Python/Ruby/C
Vim/Gentoo
Mysql/PostgreSQL/MongoDB
Ephexeve

Re: How to silently uninstall 2.7 on Windows

Postby Mikey Boy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. As it happens, I found the solution to this. I had intended to come back and follow up this thread, but one thing drives out another, so to speak...

The answer was simply that the command-line options have to be in the right order. The /qn flag has to come after the /x <msi_file_name> option, i.e.

Code: Select all
msiexec /x <msi_file_name> /qn
Mikey Boy

Return to General Discussions