How do I get started, specifically with SimpleCV?

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

How do I get started, specifically with SimpleCV?

Postby Fishbulb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 am

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to Python. I am neuroscientist and I have lots of experience in with Matlab by little with Python. I am very interested in using Python to do some computer vision work for the lab, but I am having a really hard time getting up and running with Python and SimplyCV. I purchased the O'Reilly Practical Computer Vision with SimpleCV but I cannot seem to be able to get SimpleCV to run. Unfortunately, the book is no help. I have looked at the documentation for the SimpleCV download and install but I am still having problems. Here are some specifics.

I am on a new Mac running OS 10.8.3
If I look at my applications, I have both Python 2.7 and 3.3 installed

If I go to the Terminal on my Mac and type "python", i get
Python 2.7.3 (v2.7.3:70274d53c1dd, Apr 9 2012, 20:52:43)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

if I type "from SimpleCV import Shell"

I get, "ImportError: No module named SimpleCV"

I downloaded SimpleCV and it went straight into my downloads folder, but I have no idea how to install or run it.

I followed the directions from here, https://github.com/ingenuitas/SimpleCV#macos , but honestly, it's just so confusing and I have no idea why it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
FB
Fishbulb

Re: How do I get started, specifically with SimpleCV?

Postby micseydel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:31 am

You haven't provided enough information to be able to tell what went wrong in the installation. What showed up in the terminal when you ran
Code: Select all
pip install https://github.com/ingenuitas/SimpleCV/zipball/master

?

Also, we can try to help you with this, but ultimately it might be something wrong with the distribution and you'll have to contact the creators directly. OS X definitely sucks as far as a development environment for non-pure Python third party modules.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Fishbulb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 am

Thanks for the help micseydel. I appreciate it. I ran the line you posted in the terminal and I got this response.

creating /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/SimpleCV

error: could not create '/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/SimpleCV': Permission denied

It seems like it was downloading it OK but failed to install it. It does not prompt me for an administrative password however. Is there a way to force it to allow the install by telling it that I am in fact the administrator of the computer?

Thanks again!
FB
Fishbulb

Postby micseydel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 am

Yeah, you can put "sudo " at the beginning of the line to git it admin permissions. Also, I asked about the last line in the whole process, but if there are any previous lines that you got permission denied for, then they need to be run first with admin permissions.

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Fishbulb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 am

Well thanks micseydel, that worked! Progress was made and I'll go from here. One more quick question. If I want to figure out what I just did, as in what the sudo command and the terminal commands are doing, where would I go to look. I understand that this is not really Python yet. Is this a Unix shell or something. Where would send me to research more about it?

Thanks again,
FB
Fishbulb

Postby micseydel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 am

Yeah no worries, glad to help! Google and Wikipedia are excellent, you might learn random stuff if you read xkcd and Google what you don't understand (and I think there's a forum for it too). Besides that, you can type "man <command>" in a terminal and get a very thorough manual page on the command. Try "man ls" and "man sudo" to see what I mean.

micseydel

Postby setrofim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:09 am

micseydel wrote: if you read xkcd and Google what you don't understand (and I think there's a forum for it too).

There is a wiki.
setrofim

Postby Fishbulb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 am

Looks like I got really close but not quite. It seems I'm having problems getting pygame to install nicely on this mac. Accodording to the SimpleCV installation guide I should be able run this line from the terminal to install pygame

sudo pip install hg+http://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame

but instead I get the error

no previously-included directories found matching '*/CVS'
no previously-included directories found matching '*/*/CVS'

When I then run python in the terminal to use the SimpleCV tutorial, I then get errors. If I type,

from SimpleCV import Shell

I get,
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/SimpleCV/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
from SimpleCV.base import *
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/SimpleCV/base.py", line 21, in <module>
import pygame as pg
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pygame/__init__.py", line 95, in <module>
from pygame.base import *
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pygame/base.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pygame/base.so: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

any ideas? I'm assuming this is now related to the pygame install.

Thanks again guys!
FB
Fishbulb

Postby micseydel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:04 am

You can try installing pygame the way that pygame's website says to, instead of using that command, but other than that I'm not sure what to do other than contact the pygame or SimpleCV people.

micseydel

Return to General Discussions