Python 3.0 with notepad++

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

Python 3.0 with notepad++

Postby AEA » Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 am

Hello All

First up, ill warn you, I am a complete novice. In fact this is pretty much a set up question. I have followed all the instructions as per this tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJipYE1JT38

However when I run
Code: Select all
C:\Python33\Lib\idlelib\idle.py "$FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"
I get the python shell, the windows\py.exe and what should be my programme code/text. What I am getting instead is a untitled and blank document. I can of course edit this blank document and run the code. But I cannot get it to run the pre existing code that I allready had open in notepad++

If anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Cheers

AEA
AEA

Re: Python 3.0 with notepad++

Postby Mekire » Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 am

If you are using windows and trying to use IDLE why bother opening it via command line. Just open IDLE and open the file. I suggest you don't bother with IDLE at all honestly. Pyscripter is a fairly decent windows IDE despite occasional instability (which although admittedly annoying, is far better than IDLE). Also if you are already using notepad++, I again don't see the need for IDLE.

-Mek
Mekire

Re: Python 3.0 with notepad++

Postby metulburr » Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 am

notpad++ and IDLE are the same thing, an IDE. Just fancy text editors, thats all.

that video is way too complicated for a first timer. Plus no one would ever run a python program as an argument to IDLE in the command line/terminal. They would just execute the file directly.
python try2.py

of course (in windows) for that to work, you either 1) have to have try2.py file in the directory of python AKA
C:\Python32
(or whatever version you downloaded) and must be your current working directory (or put the full path of python.exe) . or 2) to run the script from any directory you need to add the python path th the PATH envrionmental variable. OF course the easiest method for a first timer, is number 1.

both ways are explained in our tutorial executing python)
New Users, Read This
version Python 3.3.2 and 2.7.5, tkinter 8.5, pyqt 4.8.4, pygame 1.9.2 pre
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
metulburr

Return to General Discussions