feeling to code in different language

feeling to code in different language

Postby metulburr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 am

I dont know why but am having the urge to code in C++ lately. However, i dont really need to for any reason, just for sport and self teaching. Its just i keep plugging along in python, and i am doing quite well i think. I just feel like my C++ skills are lacking behind. I can do stuff in python that i have no idea where to start in c++, even simple things like writing to files, etc. Anything i learned a couple years ago in C++, i forgot, by now.

But what i do not want to do is end up going to C++, and forgetting python. Because python is just awesome.

However its hard for me to switch back and forth between python and c++, with the syntax, and the ways of doing things, its normally just easier to do one or the other for awhile.

I dont know, maybe i get that feeling because i have been told that Python is s*** compared to C++. But i dont plan on creating any drivers or anything with C++. The most i would do in it is what i do in python. But python is just a lot easier to deal with, less headaches. Its only downside is its speed, and lets face it, i have NEVER came to a situation where its speed is a problem.

But then, ive read some things (somewhere) that say, if Python was around in the early days, and everything was Python, then python would be the most used language, but since c++ was earlier, and some other things that i guess its just the head honcho, i guess.

But doing stuff in python taught me how to, why its done like that, methods of doing it, and then i go back to c++ and i am like ok, i know i need to make this, just not sure how. Instead of completely lost at the syntax and the reasoning behind it.
New Users, Read This
version Python 3.3.2 and 2.7.5, tkinter 8.5, pyqt 4.8.4, pygame 1.9.2 pre
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
metulburr

Re: feeling to code in different language

Postby micseydel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:34 am

Switching back and forth gets easier with time. It couldn't be said that "X language is *** compared to Y language" in most cases, since they both have their purposes. Learning multiple languages is always good, especially anything mainstream (although stuff like Lisp can be good to learn too).
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Postby joneshf » Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Try learning a fundamentally different language.
joneshf

Postby micseydel » Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 pm

joneshf wrote:Try learning a fundamentally different language.

Yeah, learn some LISP and Prolog just for fun. After Prolog, I really miss automatic backtracking too.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Postby DrakeMagi » Thu May 16, 2013 4:32 pm

I taught myself many different languages. I'm no expert i just like playing with computers and programming.
I like c. simple and the basic. still trying to get the hang of that preprocessor
c++:: some nice feature
d:: It nice and talking about some weird syntax. arrays here int[3][4] b; = c/++ int b[4][3]; .

I do like cython( c/++ mix with python using python syntax and it compile with your choose of compiler )
I been looking for forums for cython. Haven't found any i like.

I like Gambas something like visual basic. Gnu/Linux only.

I tried Java, just didn't like it
I tried Peril haven't done much with. but they have some weird syntax.

and played with other that are now gone or dead.

switching back and fourth ain't that hard. i do make mistake here and there.
DrakeMagi

Postby pydsigner » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:54 am

After reading the source for Prosody (an XMPP server), I had decided that Lua was a sick-o language I had no interest in learning. I got into programming it some as a game scripting language; I've decided that it makes an intriguing counterpart to Python. It's Python-like in some ways, but explores an entirely different path.
Desktop: Linux Mint 15, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2.4GHz Xeon
Laptop: Win8, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1.6GHz 4th gen i5
Python: 2.7.4

For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved! (John 3:17)
pydsigner

Return to Bar