using Glade on Windows

Post here if you need help with creating a Graphical User Interface in Python.

using Glade on Windows

Postby eightbits » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Hello, I have not found many Glade 'hits' at this forum. Is it not a common tool to use for GUI for Python? I have just recently started using Python and want to use a GUI interface.

Most of my experimentation is done on a Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) PC, however I have also installed Python on a XP-PRO based laptop and it seems to execute with no problems.
In searching for a Glades for Windows I see that it does exist and I found a *.exe download.
My current situation is the Windows laptop can not access the Internet.

:?: Question: If I download (using Linux) the exe file and copy to the Windows PC using a thumb drive, will it install with no problems? I am wondering if there are issues installing it after Python is already installed and running on the Windows PC?

I have used other *.exe files and a *.msi file to accomplish sucessful Windows install(s) of other applications and hoping the *.exe download is all that is required and no separate PATH or setup issues?

Thanks for any assist.
eightbits

Re: using Glade on Windows

Postby stranac » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:16 pm

If there's any additional setup needed, it will be mentioned on the site you got the installer from.

And no, it's not very common to use a tool like glade to create GUIs.
Most people prefer to write the GUI code by hand, if they decide to make one.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby Yoriz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I think you will find glade is a totaly independent program from python, so wont clash with any python installs.
Did it not work when you tried ?.
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Yoriz

Postby eightbits » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:08 pm

It works fine on Linux, have not attempted to install on Windows until I felt sure there were no known issues.
You posted:
Most people prefer to write the GUI code by hand, if they decide to make one.

Is there a particular reason that most programmers code by hand?
Is the GTK the method that most use?
Thanks
eightbits

Postby Yoriz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 pm

eightbits wrote:Is there a particular reason that most programmers code by hand?

Gui builders are usually only good at making simple GUI's, once you start wanting to create more complicated GUI's you find they cant do whats needed
When you then come to try and manually add what they cant do, you dont even understand how to do the basic stuff yourself yet, let alone the more complicated.
eightbits wrote:Is the GTK the method that most use?

There are various GUI frameworks
Which one to use usually boils down to either its ability to do what you want it to, your personal preferance or that joe bloggs said it was great so it must be.
New Users, Read This
Yoriz

Postby eightbits » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Well I installed Glade on the XP PRO laptop and it seems to work. I then loaded a test program (Glade and Python code)
that runs as expected on my Linux PC. However, the program doesn't find GTK and fails with the typical import GTK.
So, after looking for a GTK+ for Windows it seems I have to also load/install about 10 different programs. :evil:
Is there a better way to get everything installed on Windows or is that the absolute and only way to get everything setup to run Glade on WIndows. Keeping in mind that Python seems to run just fine.
eightbits

Postby Yoriz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 am

I dont know if there is an easier way to install GTK+ for Windows as i've never tried, i use a differant GUI framework and hand code with it.
I did find the following after a little searching, maybe its easier then what you have used ?
PyGTK for Microsoft Windows using the all-in-one installer
New Users, Read This
Yoriz

Postby eightbits » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:32 am

After poking around I found more than one approach to installing GTK+. It looks a little involved to me so I will put in on the
back burner for a little while. I am surprised that the Glade windows installer did not install everything it needs :(
I have plenty to learn/do just with Python, but using the Linux PC I am interested in additional learning with GUI for Python and Linux. I think that is the best way to get even simple programs useful if you need interactive code for the user. Using the interactive mode seems ok for simple task but not where interaction is needed with the user.

To explan that, as a task, I wanted to convert a VB 2008 Express program to run under Python (w/GUI). I am thinking that would be a starting place to go to the next step in learning to use Python in a Linux environment.

I am also investigating pygtk as a method to get a GUI working , but Glad is working just fine on the Linux PC.
Yoriz: I did install a msi file on the WIndows machine, thanks for the link. However, I get an error message that GTK is not found. I am now thinking that may be a PATH issue for modules(?). I think that if the GTK 'stuff' doesn't work , then I will not be able to do any gui coding, even 'hand coding'.
Thanks again for your input.

UPDATE:
I have been experimenting using pyGTK and looking for additional clarification
on adding multiple buttons to a Vertical or Horizontal box.
Is the best way to add several buttons to a horizontal box is to divide it into multiple
vertical box's and use each vertical box as the container for buttons or individual widgets?

I found some information on using a button box, is that the better way to go?

Thanks.
eightbits

Return to GUI