Newbie GUI question

Post here if you need help with creating a Graphical User Interface in Python.

Newbie GUI question

Postby edr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Just installed Python 3.3.2 Shell for Windows 7, and have been working through a tutorial. So far it's really great and I can already tell I'll be learning Python in-depth. My only challenge thus far is that tutorials claim that multi-line code input will be preceded by ... for each line. I only get >>> and then blank space for multi-line statements. Is there an option I've overlooked or something else?

My other question is, what is the general workflow for medium or large code? What I mean is that the shell is great as a "desktop calculator," but how would people typically design larger projects. Should I use a separate editor? If so, which is a good one to use.

Thanks!
edr

Re: Newbie GUI question

Postby metulburr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Just installed Python 3.3.2 Shell for Windows 7, and have been working through a tutorial. So far it's really great and I can already tell I'll be learning Python in-depth. My only challenge thus far is that tutorials claim that multi-line code input will be preceded by ... for each line. I only get >>> and then blank space for multi-line statements. Is there an option I've overlooked or something else?

My other question is, what is the general workflow for medium or large code? What I mean is that the shell is great as a "desktop calculator," but how would people typically design larger projects. Should I use a separate editor? If so, which is a good one to use.

The interpreter ('>>>') is not the only way to run python code, and is in fact mostly used as a quick one liner or calculator. This tutorial explains basic info about the interpreter, source code, IDE's, etc. Read it all, even if you dont think it applies to you or not.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Yoriz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Here's another link Your Development Environment
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Yoriz

Postby edr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks a lot, both of you!

I will certainly read both of these and surely my problems will be solved. Despite the nature of the question, I am not very stupid. This is exactly the pointer I needed.
edr

Return to GUI