Windows 8 tablet sleeping issue

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Windows 8 tablet sleeping issue

Postby boombrush » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I am making a program on a windows 8 tablet that I want to continue to run even while the computer is in sleeping mode.

My python program is running in a loop with a 1 second wait at the bottom which it does stuff above. I want the script to continue running even when I have put the computer's mode to sleep. Currently, as soon as I do this it pauses than if I wait a few minutes and wake it, it resumes where it left off.

Help would be appreciated. If you want me to explain further that is cool just ask.
boombrush

Re: Windows 8 tablet sleeping issue

Postby micseydel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:51 pm

When a computer is sleeping, programs are not running. In my experience, this has been uniform across all computer OSs.

I have no idea about Windows tablets, but for Android, programs can run while sleeping but I don't know how to achieve it. I never even successfully installed Python on my tablet.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby boombrush » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:02 pm

That is understandable but a few days ago, it used to keep running even if the machine is sleeping until about 20 minutes. After that, I thought maybe its turning its hard drive off thus causing the script to stop. I configured the settings to turn the hard drive off at 200 minutes instead of 20. Now whenever I sleep it, it instantly stops instead of being 20 minutes later.

I have no idea what to do and I really want this program to work.
boombrush

Postby Yoriz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Go into the power options and change sleep to never
New Users, Read This
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby boombrush » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 pm

That won't help because I want to be able to sleep the device while continuing to run the script.
boombrush

Postby Yoriz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.
New Users, Read This
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Return to General Coding Help