Errors installing xlrd

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Errors installing xlrd

Postby wtrouser » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 pm

I am relatively new to Python, and this will undoubtedly seem like a 'luser' question, but I promise I've googled until my fingers bled and I'm still behind the brick wall. Problem: I get errors when attempting to install the xlrd module. It's the first module I've tried to install, and I have to think I'm missing something simple.

Specs:
python v 2.7.5
xlrd v 0.9.2
mac OSX

Here are the xlrd README instructions and the steps I've taken:

Instructions: Any OS: Unzip the .zip file into a suitable directory, chdir to that directory, then do "python setup.py install".

I don't know what qualifies as a "suitable" directory, but I downloaded the zipped file, unzipped it, and put the resulting folder in my HD. I then started python via Terminal and changed the directory using os.chdir(). I don't know what it means to "do" the final instruction step, so I tried simply typing "python setup.py install" into python. Syntax error. I tried typing "setup.py install" and "setup.py" and got more syntax errors.

According to the python.org 2.7.5 documentation, "installing the module distribution is a simple matter of running one command from a terminal: setup.py install" - yet when I do that (without changing the directory... it didn't mention it so I didn't do it) I get "-bash: setup.py: command not found". If I change what I type to "python setup.py install" I instead get a "Errno2 No such file or directory."

metulburr's module tutorial says:
3rd party software use distutils from the standard library to install themselves. So no path configuration is required to use thier code. These typically come with a setup.py file
... except that I'm apparently too ignorant to know what to do with a setup.py file.

Trust me... the fact that I can't solve this myself has me seriously questioning whether I should even continue trying to learn Python. I'm already feeling sufficiently stupid.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
wtrouser

Re: Errors installing xlrd

Postby micseydel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm

I'd like to see a screenie of what you've got going on here.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby wtrouser » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 am

micseydel wrote:I'd like to see a screenie of what you've got going on here.

Thanks micseydel for the quick reply! Actually, I've learned (to my surprise) that a neighbor can help with the knucklehead beginner stuff, which is great news I'm sure to any Python pro reading this. With help, the module has been imported. I will endeavor not to post further until a worthy question arises... and until I've read more.
wtrouser

Postby micseydel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 am

What was the solution?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby wtrouser » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:30 am

micseydel wrote:What was the solution?

Typical scenario for anyone who has had IT visit their cubicle. With the neighbor looking over my shoulder...

"See? It says to do this, so I tried entering this, doing this..." and it worked. The setup script ran and the module imported, just as it should. I wish it was something more exotic, but it was the expected... me being impatient and trying every combination of my best guesses except the correct one.
wtrouser

Return to General Coding Help