I know a little bit of Perl. Have written a few scripts to automate some alerts/reports in my organization.
I am a Storage Admin [EMC Storage mostly]. As it helps to know more than one scripting language, I am attempting to learn Python. Hoping it would be as fun as Perl to learn it.
Will be extremely thankful if someone could answer a few questions I have. My apologies in advance if a few (or all) questions appear dumb.
1) Most of my work involves slicing, dicing and extracting portions from command line outputs and either e-mailing the results, or putting the results in excel etc. Can I do that in Python ?
2) My work involves having the script log remotely into storage arrays through SSH. Few Google searches pointed me to Fabric and Paramiko which are used for this purpose. Thing is, getting the output is just a part of the job. Once I am in there, I need to extract certain outputs from the command line outputs so that to keep the output relevant and compact. In Perl, I do that using regex. Does Python allow me to do that?
3) Fabric/Paramiko is still not ported to Python 3, so I will be using Python 2.7, but is there anyone here who is using python 2.7 in their production environment to do automation/report extraction etc etc?
4) Will it be better to use 32 bit or 64 bit python?
5) Which is a better option? Activestate Python or MSI Installer from Python.org?
6) Any Storage/System Admins here who are using python to automate stuff in their environment?
7) And most importantly, can anyone suggest a good book targeted for Python Version 2.7?
Once again, my apologies if some of the questions here appear dumb.