Read serial data and post to portal

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Read serial data and post to portal

Postby CyberR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 pm

I am logging temperature (Temp) and light (Light) data using an Arduino microcontroller and I would like to upload the data to my Exosite portal. I have seen two examples where it involves the use of an ethernet shield:

Exosite Arduino Basic Temp Monitor 2 http://exosite.com/project/basic-arduin ... eb-monitor

cloud_read_write
https://github.com/exosite-garage/ardui ... te_library

I do not have an ethernet shield. I want to upload to the portal by using my Arduino connected via USB to an internet-connected PC.

I have been told that this can be done using Python. As I don't know anything about Python, I need a lot of help

Any help would but very much appreciated
CyberR

Re: Read serial data and post to portal

Postby micseydel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Why the mention of ethernet?

The built-in serial module is fantastic for communicating with microcontrollers, including the Arduino. There are tons of examples on the web of Python-Arduino communication over serial. If you have questions about it in the future, it's best to post your code attempt with as much explanation about it as you can muster, although I should warn you that the typical experience with people in forums asking about Arduino stuff is... crap. Because we forum people like to be able to test and play with things sometimes, and that's not really possible here.

Do you need help with the aspect of uploading it to the website too? (Since that, and the Arduino communication are discrete components.) If so, does the website have an API? If not, I would use lxml and mechanize, both of which are third party but great. Another regular here, setrofim wrote this scrapy tutorial which if you can figure it out is probably nicer than how I would do it.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help