Im new to Python and need advice for my current project

Im new to Python and need advice for my current project

Postby w1zzerd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Im new to python as the title states, I have been tinkering with python on and off for about a year now. I have made a few apps that run on command line, such as, a slot machine game, resume creator, and text based game.

I think I am ready for a real project.

For this project I will be gathering user input from a webpage that I will be creating, the input fields will ask the user for their name and last name and a bit of other info that they will type in. After all is typed in the user will hit a submit button and will send the user input to python. Python will have access to a word file and will create a new file that is an exact copy of the source word file, python will then take the user data and write it into specific areas of the new word document. After this, python will generate a new page with the final product and the user will be able to print it out.

I dont plan on rushing this project, I know it will take time, Im hoping this will teach me a lot about python.

What I want to know is: Would it be beneficial to use a webframework such as Flask or web.py or would the standard Python library be the solution?
Current Languages: Javascript, HTML5
Languages I'm learning: Python, C++
w1zzerd

Re: Im new to Python and need advice for my current project

Postby metulburr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm

What I want to know is: Would it be beneficial to use a webframework such as Flask or web.py or would the standard Python library be the solution?

I think since your doing just simple user intake, CGI would suffice. I am sure though that others would not agree as some do not like CGI.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby w1zzerd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:22 pm

metulburr wrote:

I think since your doing just simple user intake, CGI would suffice. I am sure though that others would not agree as some do not like CGI.

Hey thanks for the reply,

I keep hearing about CGI and I have looked it up a few times but all I see is negative things, but from what I read because its one of the oldest forms of server interaction it is supported by almost all systems.

Would I avoid having to create a Database and dealing with MySql or simial software if I just use CGI?

So then Python should be the way to go rather than using a full blown framework?
w1zzerd

Postby metulburr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm

I keep hearing about CGI and I have looked it up a few times but all I see is negative things, but from what I read because its one of the oldest forms of server interaction it is supported by almost all systems.

Would I avoid having to create a Database and dealing with MySql or simial software if I just use CGI?

So then Python should be the way to go rather than using a full blown framework?

If your using a database like MySql to store information, you still need that. CGI does not replace this.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby w1zzerd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 pm

metulburr wrote:

If your using a database like MySql to store information, you still need that. CGI does not replace this.

Well Im not sure if I need to use a database. Is a database needed if I want python to grab a word file from the server, create an exact copy of that file and add the user info to the new word file it created?
w1zzerd

Postby stranac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm

No, a database is not needed for that.
Databases serve for storing data.

I would suggest using a framework though.
This sounds like a perfect project for a microframework, such as Flask.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby w1zzerd » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. It seems I keep getting mixed opinions to whether or not I need a framework. Looks like I can do it without a framework just by writing a script... What would be the advantage of using a framework? What would be the advantage of simply using a script?
w1zzerd

Postby Yoriz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:39 pm

If you use a framework, someone else has already worked out the way to do things how they feel it should, you learn how to use their methods be they good or bad.
If you write your own you have figure out how to do every thing even thought someone else has probably already worked it out before, but you can make it exactly how you feel it should work be it good or bad.
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby ocpaul20 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 am

If you are going to have any kind of login or need to store any information from one day/week to the next you will need a database. Even if it is the kind of database in which you keep everything in one file you will probably need it. Eventually you will have to learn this stuff anyway. Also, if you are going to develop some web sites in the future you should probably be looking at a framwork of some kind Django, Flask etc.
ocpaul20

Return to Web Development