recover deleted entries from a .db file

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

recover deleted entries from a .db file

Postby aashna » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 am

Hello people
Ive been working in the field of forensics for about an year now.Id like to know if there are any python scripts (open source) that will help me recover contents of a db file which have been deleted manually from the phone.Im pretty sure they are somewhere in the memory but I dunno how I can retrieve them.Any guidance towards achieving that would be welcome.Im a newbie at Python scripting but willing to work on learning if Im guided in the right directions.Hoping for a prompt reply.
Cheers.
aashna

Re: recover deleted entries from a .db file

Postby micseydel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 am

Do you actually have a .db file? I can't tell. Do you have any idea what the format of the file is? (.db means nothing; I could rename an .avi file and have that extension, and .db could be many different databases.)
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby aashna » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 am

It is basically an sqlite database file.It stores call logs with timestamps of each call made.I can send you the file if you want via mail 1)deleted log db file 2) actual log db file.It can be read in sqlite database browser or mozilla firefox addon sqlite manager.
aashna

Postby micseydel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't know of existing scripts to do what you're asking, but it shouldn't be too difficult to do it yourself if you know a little bit of Python.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to General Discussions