Getting A Domain For A Server

Getting A Domain For A Server

Postby James_Parsons » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Say i were to create a web server. How do i get a DNS for the server so that a user would not have to type http://x.x.x.x/Home.htm
James_Parsons

Re: Getting A Domain For A Server

Postby micseydel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:15 pm

I use Dyn for slightly prettier free domains. There's also dot.tk. And of course services like Godaddy (although Namecheap is cheaper). Dyn has a nice auto-update client which updates your IP address in their records when it changes, which it probably will. I'm not sure if the other services offer a feature like that, I've only used them with static IP addresses.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 am

i am very big on .com's.

I use Godaddy for metulburr.com. They always have deals or promo codes of some sort that you can find all over the web. The Linux Action Show gives off some really sweet deals for godaddy. Unless you are looking for a well known name, you can usually pick one up with a promo code for a $1.99 for the first year, every year thereafter is something like $15 a year. However throughout the year you can find deals for them as well. For example i just bought a few years for half off each year, only because i saw the deal was in september. So I ended up spending like 20 bucks for 3 years. Now this is all just the domain name only, as i have no idea about hosting, as i host my own website.

Once you purchase a domain name, you can point your domain name to your hosting IP address, etc. and walla, that domain name from thereafter is the alias to your ip address.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 am

From what I understand, Godaddy does nothing more than Namecheap besides advertise (which makes them pass that cost onto consumers). I'm not tremendously well versed though. Also, I like .me domains for personal use, but that's just preference.

It doesn't sound like you need a host, just a domain for your own server, but if you did, I recommend Webfaction without reserve. It's absolutely awesome. (It's not free, but if you're afraid to spend the money, I think they give you 30 days with which you can get a full refund, no questions asked.)

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 am

I thought 7 bucks a year was a good deal, but if you think that's expensive maybe I should go check over at namecheap :-)
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 am

I didn't look at the .com price, since I was only interested in .me. can't remember how much it was. I just know that I Googled domain name services, and all the forums said Godaddy costs more because they advertise, and there's little difference between them.

micseydel

Return to Web Development