PC dictionary software to text

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

PC dictionary software to text

Postby GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 am

Hi everyone!

First of all, I want to apologize for the non-specialized and sometimes even vague terminology that I might use, since I am a complete layman on the matter.

I have the Microsoft Encarta dictionary installed in my pc, and would like to extract all the entries in batch, meaning by meaning, into an excel or word text file (utf8). As there's no similar dead-tree version, this is something really useful for learners, not done before thou, so the one to proceed would be the first to get it solved.

At no time do I intend to infringe any copyrights; I do own my own version, installed in my pc as I said. I will not share the data with any one; I just want to use it in just a different file format, namely in common paper notes . No one can tell me how to use data that I own because I paid for it, that's over-clear.

Hope to hear news soon.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE

Re: PC dictionary software to text

Postby stranac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:20 pm

This might be a bit off topic here as well.
This forum is meant for helping people learn python and write python code.

Your posts seems like a request for someone else to do programming for you.
If you want someone to do this for you, and you're willing to pay them, I can move this to the jobs section for you.

If you're looking to code this yourself, give it a try and post your code, and we will help you from there on.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi! I'd like to find sb who can and will do it because they're interested for some reason either similar or not to mine.
GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE

Postby stranac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:20 pm

So you want someone to do it for you, but it's not a job...
Yeah, this is as off-topic here as it is on stackoverflow(and whatever other site you posted on).
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm sorry, but I am afraid I do not know what it is that I would have to do, not even if it is possible; I am utterly lost.
I need somebody to explain to me, synoptically, the course of action, for otherwise it is kinda looking for a needle in a haystack.
GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE

Postby stranac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:10 pm

It's definitely possible.

How to do it - no one knows, unless they've already tried it themselves.
This is not something you can know how to do from the get-go; it will require some research(probably a lot).
So looking for a needle in a haystack is something that has to be done, either by you or by someone else.

And it is exactly because this requires a lot of work that I doubt anyone is going to do this for you for free.
I might be interested in doing it(just because it might be interesting), but then I would have to reboot to windows... not to mention I don't have enough time.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi! First of all, thanks for replying.

I do not pretend to be the cheeky surfer trying to get things done fast and for free; quite the contrary, I am willing to work on this because I am eager to study, kinda systematically, what I regard as an excellent recourse to master English. Obviously, I do not want to spend months learning to program before the task proper; it is smarter to look for a partnership, with the same goal even if the interests of the parts are different -perhaps for you it's a challenge, a hobby etc .
So within my limitations on software-related issues, I will spend my time working on this as an apprentice as long as I have a guiding foreperson.
I'd like to start working on it ASAP, and maybe the more people involved, the faster we'll advance.

Hope to hear news soon.
Cheers.
GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE

Postby GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Somebody created a viewer for Longman dictionary of contemporary English, which indexes and restructures all the data content -which,previously, was poorly organized- in a completely custom way, so being that kinda hacking possible, shouldn't it be just a step away from what I pretend? namely obtain such data in text format?

Hope to hear news soon!

+info:
http://www.antimoon.com/blog/2012/05/ldoce-viewer/
https://hakidame.net/ldoce5viewer/manual/
GEORGEJUNGCOCAINE

Return to General Coding Help