subprocess.popen() in Eclipse

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

subprocess.popen() in Eclipse

Postby jtpythonuser » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:30 pm

All,

I have been using the pyDev plugin for Eclipse seamlessly for over a year... until today. I am developing a GUI using wxPython 2.6 with python 2.6 set-up as my interpreter in Eclipse. For a small portion of my code I am interfacing with an application that has a dependency of only interacting with python 2.5. I decided to start a new thread and use the subprocess.popen() method to solve this problem. Example:

Code: Select all
command = 'C:\Python25\python.exe C:/TEMP/runme.py'
p = subprocess.Popen(command)

When python 2.5 starts to execute the runme.py it tries to import the python 2.6 os module. See traceback from Eclipse:

Code: Select all
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/TEMP/psse.py", line 12, in <module>
    import os
  File "C:\Python26\lib\os.py", line 757
    bs = b""
           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

FYI, I do not have this trouble using WingIDE or IDLE. I suspect I need to change some configuration in Eclipse, but have not been able to find any guidance searching the web.

Thanks in advance,
Jason T
Last edited by Mekire on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock
jtpythonuser

Re: subprocess.popen() in Eclipse

Postby micseydel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:44 am

I'm afraid that if you made that change to your Eclipse configuration that you'd break the rest of your program. Why can't you just import a main() function from runme.py and execute that in your program? I suspect that subprocess is not the right way to solve your problem.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help