IDE for beginning

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

IDE for beginning

Postby mike1127 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 pm

I will be tutoring a beginner in Python programming. I'm experienced with Python myself, and I use emacs. But I figure my student will want a real IDE. Can I get a recommendation for something that is simple? Advanced project features are not needed, but simple and well-documented basic coding and debugging would be good.

Perhaps IDLE is fine? I haven't used it.

Mike
mike1127

Re: IDE for beginning

Postby metulburr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 pm

As much as i hate IDLE, it is probably your best bet. There are a ton of video how-to's, web page how-tos, all on IDLE for beginners. So in the event of the beginners googling, he will probably have more hits upon using IDLE to help him out.
New Users, Read This
version Python 3.3.2 and 2.7.5, tkinter 8.5, pyqt 4.8.4, pygame 1.9.2 pre
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
metulburr

Postby mike1127 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 am

Thanks!

Oh, my other question is whether he should start with Python 3 (which I haven't used yet) or 2? I don't think there is any legacy Python code in his company, so there is no need to be compatible with anything else.
Mike
mike1127

Postby micseydel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 am

Read this and post back if you have any more specific questions.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Postby mike1127 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks, I read the p2 vs. p3 comparison. It's not quite the information I was looking for, because I'm not trying to decide on the version for a project of my own, but I'm going to teach a beginner. One consideration would be the version used in many of the introductory books and tutorials. A quick scan of Amazon shows that most introductory books use 3.

It might also become more clear what he needs when I find out what his larger plans are. He wants to use Python for something in his company, but I don't know yet what that is. Actually, I think his company uses mostly C#, and he chose Python as a first language (but eventually wants to learn C# too).

Mike
mike1127

Postby micseydel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm

It sounds like you'd need to know your students interests before deciding.

IronPython is a way of mixing C# and Python, I don't know anything more about it than that, but you may want to look into it with regards to 2 vs 3.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Return to General Discussions