Getting numpy started

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Getting numpy started

Postby phys251 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:43 am

Hi all, I just downloaded and installed numpy. I'm trying to learn how to use it. But for now, I can't even get it up and running in Python. Here is the error message that I get:

Code: Select all
>>> from numpy import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    from numpy import *
ImportError: No module named 'numpy'
>>>

(yes, I'm trying this from the shell before I code it into a program).

How do I get it to work? Is it some issue with the program paths, and if so, how do I resolve this?
Last edited by Mekire on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock. Code tags added. Please read new user thread.
phys251

Re: Getting numpy started

Postby micseydel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:02 am

Assuming you did successfully install numpy, it looks like it's installed for a different version of Python. What versions do you have installed?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby phys251 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:54 am

2.7 and 3.3. I'm having this problem with both versions.

To tell the truth, I'm just really confused as to how to get numpy set up. I cannot figure out the directions. Can you please give me a simple, clear guide to setting it up?
phys251

Postby micseydel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:06 am

How did you install the numpy you did? What OS are you using?

phys251 wrote:To tell the truth, I'm just really confused as to how to get numpy set up. I cannot figure out the directions. Can you please give me a simple, clear guide to setting it up?

If I could, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but honestly, when I had the experience of it being difficult to set things up, I just painstakingly went through the process each time until I was good at it for my own system. What we'll go through that might fix it is your first step in that direction.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby phys251 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:54 am

I honestly don't know what you mean by this. I have downloaded a few packages of numpy--Spyder, Python xy--and I have yet to be able to do anything productive with them.

I just want to be able to click on IDLE, or some equivalent Python-compatible program, type "from numpy import *", and BOOM, I'm ready to go. I really have no idea what I'm doing. For me, simple = GOOD and complicated = BAD.

EDIT: Spyder looks like what I need. Alright, I think I may be on my way.
phys251

Return to General Coding Help