Can I code using an android tablet?

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

Can I code using an android tablet?

Postby Ant4God » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:03 am

My name is Anthony and I am a complete. Noob, I am starting an online class on edx .org onbasics of programming on the 16th of Oct. I wanted to join this forum to learn as much as possible before, during, and after my class. I am 32 and used to do some command prompt stuff in dos shell (if anyone remembers that, autoexec.bat, config.sys, .... lol)
I am excited to start this course, question is can I do it on my android tablet? I will have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, been looking for a python shell app to practice. Again sorry I am a complete noobie and don't have a clue what I'm doing. I searched the forum for questions similar and found none. I have a desktop I can use but it is about 6 yrs old and very slow. I also tried to start a post but couldn't find the button to post. (Maybe cause I just registered, feel free to repost or delete my post and continue in private message if needed, I just want set myself up for success, and learn all I can about programming) thank u in advance for anyone's help, in my new adventure into programming. :-)
Last edited by Mekire on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved post out of "New Users" thread.
Ant4God

Re: Can I code using an android tablet?

Postby Kebap » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 am

Hi and Welcome!
I have found an Android App "qPython" (reminding me of qBasic, ha!), which seems to be pretty decent. I haven't tested it much though, as I don't have such great hardware, and the software keyboard sucks. You should maybe test it. Also, test on your desktop as well. The speed should not matter too much. If you find any problems or moe detailed questions, just let us know! :mrgreen:
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby metulburr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:17 pm

i tried coding with the soft keyboards, and found the experience miserable, even on a 10 inch. Maybe with a bluetooth keyboard it would make it more enjoyable. Yes it is fully possible. From what i read....there are limitations, you can code using the basic standard library, but 3rd party libs for example pygame, are not yet avaialable. I havent tested whether this was true or not yet. It might be for a non-rooted tablet also.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Marbelous » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:09 pm

I've also used qPython and it works fine for simple practice but I agree that coding without a real keyboard is painful so I'm glad you have a bluetooth option.
If your PC is out of date and you want to get into some fun programming/hacking/maker projects I have two words for you: Raspberry Pi

It's a full blown Linux PC with the power of a single core pentium with a GPU that can handle openGL and decode High Def video. You plug in a keyboard and mouse and connect it to your HDMI TV and you're good to go. Best part is they're $40 (with 8GB SD): http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... dp/04X5042

You can do all sorts of projects with its built-in GPIO ports for interfacing to the outside world. Best of all the "Pi" stands for Python which it comes with all ready to get coding. Plus, there is TONS of support on the web for everything from stand-alone servers to robots. Since it's designed for schools many tutorials are very basic. I already have two. I'm automating my house. :mrgreen:
Marbelous

Postby metulburr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:08 pm

after a contest where the winning prize was a rasberry pi, i started looking into them. I lost the contest. But i was about to just buy one. However i am not really sure what i would use them for.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby Kebap » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:13 am

metulburr wrote:However i am not really sure what i would use them for.

Come to think of it, this is how I think of PCs as well :twisted:
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby Marbelous » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm using one RPi to control my lawn sprinkler pump. Number two has the $25 camera module and I'm trying to get the video to my cell phone so I can monitor my house while I'm away.
They also make good Media Centers. You can install special OSes for playing movies, music and net TV. If you need inspiration, just search Raspberry Pi Applications or check out MagPi magazine: http://www.themagpi.com/issues/

Eventually I'd like to build a RPi controlled Quad-Copter to patrol my yard. I think I'll call him... SkyNet! :twisted:
Marbelous

Postby Ant4God » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:57 am

Thank u all, I have been watching tutorial after tutorial so will have a big leg up when class starts. I have a "terminal emulator" app on my tablet and typed in "python" it came up. (Version 2.6. Something) but on my phone, doesn't recognize python. (It must be on the tablet, not in the app.

"raw_input" function does not work but most other things I've tried work. I looked for an online ide, and some were ok. I just want to be able to practice whenever, whereever. When i try downloading python for windows, linux, it is in a format that i cant open or even extract. Its not a .zip. so im not really sure where to go from here.

I got qpython app but its nothing like what i watch in the tutorials. Its not an interactive shell, very hard to use. I am now gonna look up some qpython tutorials.

Ill get it figured out because i wont quit until i do. :-) I will be on this forum a lot. (Mostly reading, and searching) any adition help or advice would be great, where i can download a python ide, idle, ... for android tablet. No need to be an app, just a download version that my tablet can read, (or program that will open it)
Ant4God

Postby metulburr » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:23 am

Aside from the IDE's on android everyone knows...
I came across this one today
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... free&hl=en

Apparently it is connected with Ideone.com. It's nice because you can easily switch from compiling a short program of c++ over to using the python interpreter all without having a python interpreter installed, or a c++ compiler, or java virtual machine , etc. Quite a few languages for easy access on the tablet. You can use their ide to save the file and auto upload compile/run the program via their website, so you would have to have internet access at the time of compiling/running.

I read the bad reviews, but ihavent yet had a problem of what they speak of.

However i anticipate that i will not have internet access all the time, so i use qpython (2 and 3) for python, and c4droid for c++ compiling. However, when i have internet, i will prolly now avoid these and go straight to this idedroid.

EDIT on second thought, I only screw around on the tablet, i do serious coding on my desktop/laptop. I'll exclude my netbook as the keyboard is so small on that, that it is as almost as bad as the soft keyboard on the tablet.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby Ant4God » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:23 am

I was able to extract .tgz with my tablet, but not sure how to run. /configure. Or get it all going. Please help someone... I have tried a bunch of things and can't figure out how to build the interpreter / start. Once I get this up and running I will have a reliable way to practice programming.
I downloaded the Linux version of python 2.7.5 from python.org. it was a .tgz then I downloaded fx file explorer to extract the .tgz. now its extracted and I read the readme, and several other files. It tells me to run the. /configure file and build the interpreter, then ... tried in the terminal emulator, and tried with esfile explorer, qnd fx file explorer. Cant get it to run. Thanks inadvance, once i get this up and runnin i wont bug u again. (Just read, and practice, and read and practice, i just dont really have a good way to practice at the moment.)
Ant4God

Return to General Discussions